• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lazy, useless team members: What to do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But basically, don't worry about the other contractors, this is all you need to remember...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...paid-more.html

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Similar thing happened to me last time at a large Bank last year. They will eventually realise and give you more responsibility. I made excuses for the guy and never back stabbed anybody to anybody. As a result the team lead trusted me much more, they terminated the other guy once they realised and handed over all the work to me.

Whatever you do don't cause bad feeling, if you do tell them then do so in a very professional way and at an appropriate time and place.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        But basically, don't worry about the other contractors, this is all you need to remember...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...paid-more.html

It's so true!

But I always look a little deeper, and it's quite amusing having a one to one with someone who thinks that they have the wool pulled over your eyes - and then congratulating them on their work and setting them tasks/goals with weekly progress reviews and watching them squirm
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
          It's so true!

But I always look a little deeper, and it's quite amusing having a one to one with someone who thinks that they have the wool pulled over your eyes - and then congratulating them on their work and setting them tasks/goals with weekly progress reviews and watching them squirm

I'm in the happy position of doing the article AND getting deliverables through the door - THAT's what makes your boss look good (that and ensuring that they know when you've stopped them from stepping on a steaming pile of doodah...

My aim isn't to do the least work, but get extensions without the rate cut..
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

I'm in the happy position of doing the article AND getting deliverables through the door - THAT's what makes your boss look good (that and ensuring that they know when you've stopped them from stepping on a steaming pile of doodah...

My aim isn't to do the least work, but get extensions without the rate cut..
            That's the attitude!

I'm now permie, and my work ethic is reflected in the fact that I have been given another 10% raise and had my bonus increased by 25% again this year.

We are all in it to make money, but it is easier to make money when you are appreciated
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

But it's not all about the money.

There is also the undeniable good feeling of having done a good job and delivered something tanglible.

I don't want to earn good money for keeping my chair warm. I want to earn it for doing a good job.

Comment

I had a fellow contractor do it to me once. He'd been with the client for years and was pretty much exactly like a permie to them. Anyway, we had a few minor disagreements about a few things (nothing serious or untoward I just didnt agree with him on some technical issues) but he was sortta the senior techie so he then decided to tell management I wasnt up for it. Made a few things up as well about what I hadnt done etc.

Luckily, the client knew the score. Apparently, as I found out later, he had done this several times in the past with different people. God knows why the client kept him there but he was one of these people who they knew were a PITA but couldnt get rid because he knew the system.

Took all my willpower not to chin the twat after this though!
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I would hate to work with a contractor like you, even thinking about grassing him up make you suspect and going for his rate after show you have character defects, they should get rid of you. Some contractors need to take a role out of there skillset to keep the gravy train running. I think you should go back to premiedom where a backstabbing little piece of tulip like you would be more suitable.

HTH

Comment

I got a client to get rid of two newly joined contractors (one replaced the other) after they had been in for two weeks. They were totally unsuitable and were going to screw up the project. It's a business arrangement, not an employment relationship so they had to go - that's one of the reasons why we're paid so much.

The only amusing thing was that I got a kind of respect in the organisation as a ruthless sonofabitch, which really isn't me at all - but the business persona has to be different.

Get rid of them.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                      I would hate to work with a contractor like you, even thinking about grassing him up make you suspect and going for his rate after show you have character defects, they should get rid of you. Some contractors need to take a role out of there skillset to keep the gravy train running. I think you should go back to premiedom where a backstabbing little piece of tulip like you would be more suitable.

HTH
                      That's all very well and groovy, but we're all being paid a lot of money to deliver something. Each of us has an element of the overall design and they all need to interface correctly or it won't work.

Maybe you are one of the chair warmers that want a peaceful life and are happy to invoice and be tulip. Good luck with that.

Comment

Working...
                      X