• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lazy, useless team members: What to do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mupps View Post
    I need advice from the seasoned hard-asses on this board.

Currently working as a team of 4 contractors, 3 of us are clearly experts in our field and spend all day in busy, in depth conversations and activities creating the solution. We lead meetings with the permies and are worth every penny. The fourth does bugger all, his minimal skills, has clearly BS'd his CV to get there, has produced one diagram in 6 weeks and could be replaced by a cardboard cutout without any impact to the project.

Do we:
    a) Point out his uselessness to the Clientco and get rid of him?
    b) Point out his uselessness to the Clientco and get rid of him and offer to do his work for an increase in our rate?
    c) Leave it to the permies to work it out for themselves, if they ever do?
    d) Live and let live, it's not our problem, although it is sort of because i have to do his work for him.

What's the best path in this situation oh wise ones?
    HTH
    one day at a time

Comment

Several times over my contracting career, I have been asked my opinion of another contractor by clientco.
      If they are asking that question, then they must have concerns. I give an honest answer about their technical abilities, and so far they've always been right to question.
      I'm in a niche market and have many years experience in my area. I am honest on my CV and I work hard.
      I expect other contractors to do the same - unless of course there's nothing to do!
      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
        Several times over my contracting career, I have been asked my opinion of another contractor by clientco.
        If they are asking that question, then they must have concerns. I give an honest answer about their technical abilities, and so far they've always been right to question.
        I'm in a niche market and have many years experience in my area. I am honest on my CV and I work hard.
        I expect other contractors to do the same - unless of course there's nothing to do!
        The key point there has been highlighted.

Comment

It's a tricky one. Someone might be taking you down with them, but you might be putting your own head on the block if you turn states evidence.
          I had this on my very first contract, guy was rubbish.
          I get round it by writing anonymous stuff on the bog walls. This guy was hauled into the PM's office and faced directly with the allegations
          'Is it true you are a stinky-bum plop plop pants ?'
          He didnt really have an answer, so they booted him out, damn freeloader

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
          X