• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

new future toy.. the Intel NUC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    That's because Intel is actually doing cutting edge research and Pi is using obsolete technology on the cheap.
    Intel's "cutting edge research" consists largely of trying to catch up with the technologies used in ARM processors such as that found in the Raspberry Pi.

Comment

Last thing for research I bought was 64 core server - no time to test it but it sure as heck ain't your average Pi
      I get my multicore servers from Intel for nothing, you should join their "Premier Support" program.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
        Apart from the fact that it costs over 10* more than a Raspberry Pi...
        I was suggesting it was far more expensive and powerful than the raspberry pi but far less powerful and costly as a mac mini, thus the "halfway house" part, not exactly halfway admittedly.

Still, a fun new toy
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Intel's "cutting edge research" consists largely of trying to catch up with the technologies used in ARM processors such as that found in the Raspberry Pi.
          Steady Nick, don't let reality into AtW's world, he'd scare the little f*cker to death!

Comment

Last thing for research I bought was 64 core server - no time to test it but it sure as heck ain't your average Pi
            why the feck did you buy it for then if you don't have time to test it (by that I assume you mean play with it)????

Comment

well put

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                Intel's 4-inch Next Unit of Computing to cost $400 - The Tech Report

looks like a halfway house between a Raspberry PI and a Mac Mini sort of
                With Mac Minis starting at $599 more like a two thirds house.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                  With Mac Minis starting at $599 more like a two thirds house.
                  More like 5/6? Shirley?

Comment

That's because Intel is actually doing cutting edge research and Pi is using obsolete technology on the cheap.

One word:

I T A N I U M

If AMD hadn´t put 64 bit onto x386 Intel would have been quite happy to leave that at 32 bit. The original plans were that if you wanted 64 bit, Itanium would be Intel´s offering.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Intel mainly makes money on fast processors, this uses energy - they've made good efforts in recent years to reduce it

ARM's profits - $50 mln for a quarter

BBC News - Arm Holdings profits up over 40%

Intel's profits - $3400 mln

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/20/te...rter.html?_r=1

This means just like Pi joker ARM will never have enough money to challenge Intel where it matters for them and with new stuff Intel should contain the problem enough to continue ground breaking research.

Comment

Working...
                      X