• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finance experience needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must admit I've always found it interesting that many financial institutions will proudly flaunt their "diversity" policies, the theory being that those from differing cultural backgrounds can bring a broader range of perspectives to the table. Then, in the same breath, they will insist that any candidate without a financial background shouldn't bother applying.
    You won't be alerting anyone to anything with a mouthful of mixed seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
      how essential is it to have finance experience these days in order to keep the work flowing in

very hard to get contracts without it

or

plenty of other fields to work in

should do a poll but cant be arsed
      It depends which components you're dealing with.

I work for a company that provides comms software and toolkits to the various traders/brokers/banks etc and we don't have any financial knowledge pre-requisites when we recruit.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenLabel View Post
        Must admit I've always found it interesting that many financial institutions will proudly flaunt their "diversity" policies, the theory being that those from differing cultural backgrounds can bring a broader range of perspectives to the table. Then, in the same breath, they will insist that any candidate without a financial background shouldn't bother applying.
        What the **** has cultural backgrounds and diversity got to do with knowing financial markets and corporate finance cultures?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I went for an interview at an IB in the city.

I tracked down the interviwer and got his PHD off the web. I researched it and read it till me eyes bled, I was actually starting to understand this stuff.

At the interview this stunning blonde walks in with her bazongas hanging out
          Dr Bazongas - 'good mornink, I am ze Doctor Enormous Brain'
          Dr Bazongas -'How much off ze experience in IB do you haff?'

EO - 'errr tits'

I didnt get that one

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

If you have no experience and get an interview answering "well I think a mixture of XML and stored procedures would be the ideal solution there" to every question will get you a job.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              If you have no experience and get an interview answering "well I think a mixture of XML and stored procedures would be the ideal solution there" to every question will get you a job.
              I thought the stock answer was "Chuck it in an Excel spreadsheet".

Comment

Back office roles you don't need to know much finance/maths

Front office you do

The money is not much different for these two

There are many more BO jobs

So in effect, you probably don't need much finance

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
                  Back office roles you don't need to know much finance/maths

Front office you do

The money is not much different for these two

There are many more BO jobs

So in effect, you probably don't need much finance
                  Be prepared to hold out for the extra £85 a day though.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                    Be prepared to hold out for the extra £85 a day though.
                    What the f**k are you making hand gestures for? You know something about it do you?

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
                      What the f**k are you making hand gestures for? You know something about it do you?
                      I know all I need to know, and that's probably a lot more than you.

Keep chasing the £85.

Comment

Working...
                      X