• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to do with a spare machine?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Well, it fails on the NIC at the moment, I suppose it might fail at the next hurdle after that.
    It probably will. I investigated this last week (could do with a working environment for something I'm testing) and concluded that a new motherboard and cpu would be the sane approach.

Its now on next years to do list.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      WCHS.

I'd look at turning it into a media server myself.
      Already have the HTPC for that.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

VMware workstation. Then ESXi on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mupps View Post
          VMware workstation. Then ESXi on that.
          I already have workstation on my workstation. I want to do something "server" with this spare machine that I have lying around. It's an 8GB quad core extreme so fairly beefy but around 6 years old in parts. ESXi is my preferred choice as then I can put CentOS, FreeNAS and OpenSolaris on it as well as some other stuff. The only problem is that the onboard NIC and possibly SATA IO don't work so I need to do something about that.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Mac OSX?

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Hmm, well my old LSI SAS card seems to be working and is apparently compatible so I just need to wait for my new NIC to arrive.

Comment

All this means absolutely **** all to me. I need to get a job as a waiter for an easy life I think..
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  Hmm, well my old LSI SAS card seems to be working and is apparently compatible so I just need to wait for my new NIC to arrive.
                  LSI are definitely supported so no problem there. You just need a suitable NIC card (don't most intel ones qualify).
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    LSI are definitely supported so no problem there. You just need a suitable NIC card (don't most intel ones qualify).
                    Just ordered an Intel Gigabit CT for £25. Should be good to go.

Comment

Works a treat, although the converter in workstation is refusing to import some of my VMs.

Comment

Working...
                      X