• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mandarin and poetry from age 9

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    So do I, it is embarrassing the number of languages most of them speak and more so when they ask you how many you speak.

The Dutch seem to focus on quite a few languages, their theory being that not many people speak Dutch (so I've been told).
    Yes the Dutch do take languages seriously. I was told the same thing: "We are such a small country we can't expect everyone else to learn our language so we learn their's so that we can trade"

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Plan is once I've got Dutch under my belt is to get my French back to fluency again as it's a tad out of practice after years of not much use. A lot of gigs in the Benelux countries require both French and Dutch these days.
    That is a problem for me. My German got very rusty when I was living in France and within weeks of arriving in Switzerland my French was taking a nosedive. My French is however there to stay; I just need some exposure to it and it comes back. Fortunate;y I can get French TV here (though somewhat oddly my cable package has discontinued the Swiss French channels).
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

More useful than Spanish IMO
      Dunno, but Spanish is much easier, probably the easiest of all languages, so a good one to start with.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Superb. Now we need lessons in how to emigrate to a decent country.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Superb. Now we need lessons in how to emigrate to a decent country.
          A degree in poetry will help

Comment

Working...
          X