• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LeakedIn.org - check if your password was leaked

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    Looks like mine hasn't been leaked. LinkedIn was on the "generic" list which just got the same password as it wasn't important.

These days salting really should be made mandatory.
    Bear in mind that, as Gentile pointed out above, this is undoubtedly just some of the hashes; the fact that your password isn't on the list doesn't mean it wasn't leaked.

Comment

My password was leaked and cracked. Not one I use anywhere else so not much chance of any damage being done elsewhere.

Deleted the account.
      Last edited by Cliphead; 7 June 2012, 06:01.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Mine shows as leaked and cracked. However, I imagine my password is one that would be chosen by lots of people, so whether it's been hacked in association with my login is not certain.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
          Mine shows as leaked and cracked. However, I imagine my password is one that would be chosen by lots of people, so whether it's been hacked in association with my login is not certain.
          A quick check suggests there are no duplicate entries in the file, which further supports the contention that this is a filtered subset of the data available to whoever cracked it, as we would otherwise expect duplicate entries for common things like "password", "linkedin" and "123456".

Method used: sort SHA1.txt | uniq -d | wc -l although when that came up with zero, I confirmed by sorting into a new file (same length, obviously) then applying uniq to create another new file (same length, so no duplicates were removed) and then just for the hell of it applying uniq with the "only show duplicates" flag to produce yet another new file (zero length).
          Last edited by NickFitz; 7 June 2012, 06:28.

Comment

Looks like mine wasn't leaked.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
              Looks like mine wasn't leaked.
              You really typed your password into that website? Well if it wasnt leaked it could be now. (Assuming it wasnt already)

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
                You really typed your password into that website? Well if it wasnt leaked it could be now. (Assuming it wasnt already)
                The password doesn't get sent, only the hash. I checked, as in, I looked at the HTTP traffic with a dummy password and confirmed that it wasn't sent. (I already explained all this, but I suppose expecting people to read the damn thread before posting is too much.)

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Bear in mind that, as Gentile pointed out above, this is undoubtedly just some of the hashes; the fact that your password isn't on the list doesn't mean it wasn't leaked.
                  Aye, I conducted a password refresh anyway

Comment

Several years ago I worked on a project to improve a website's security.
                    At the time, the passwords were stored plain text in the database.
                    Out of curiosity, I ran a count on different passwords to see how common they were.

Top of the list - password.

About 5 of the top 20 were football teams

Names (mostly girls') were pretty common, as were various varieties of booze.

87 people had the same password as me.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                      87 people had the same password as me.
                      I've just changed mine to wanttoseemytits too.

Comment

Working...
                      X