• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Examples of using your tech skills in real life?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I build all my own desktop PCs and upgrade and fix laptops. Look after my own bikes as well. And I make my own audio cables.
    How can I tell what's wrong with the headphone output on my PC? I know my headphones work (tested on other devices), Windows detects when I plug the headphone jack in and thinks it's working okay and the driver appears okay too (up to date and worked until today). I've tried switching it off and on, which has cured this problem in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
      I remember making my own laplink cable when I got a pirated copy of Laplink early 90's I think.
      I still have the cable too (I had to run an extra wire outside the sheath because there wasn't enough cores)
      I did that too
      Me, me, me...

Comment

I made a serial cable and connectors from an old PC to a GPS. It was a bit Heath Robinson though.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          I made a serial cable and connectors from an old PC to a GPS. It was a bit Heath Robinson though.
          Hey, if it works...
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            You should see the breakout I made for my Atmel AVR programmer. You can get away with a lot with low speed serial signals. Works though. Which is more than can be said for any of the code I've tried to run on it.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
              I remember making my own laplink cable when I got a pirated copy of Laplink early 90's I think.
              I still have the cable too (I had to run an extra wire outside the sheath because there wasn't enough cores)
              Ah yes. How do I back up my first PC?

Grabbed a couple of RS232 connectors plus a long length of phone cable and made my own link. Nuts to the "experts" who wanted me to pay an arm and a leg for their solution.

Kermit over to a proper computer and thence to tape.

And when I got my first virus, I simply restored the lot.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I remember building my first DX 486. got the processor and the board from the states. by the time I'd got round to building it they were on the shelf at Dixons for less than the board and chip had cost me
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Examples of using your tech skills in real life?
                  I logged-on to CUK and posted on a thread.
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

I would really like to get involved in some school after hours 'computer club', teaching the basics with the Rasberry Pis when they come out. It will never happen obviously but it would be something I would enjoy. Quite like training people up who are keen to learn, I think it is good for your skills to explain basic principles that you learned years ago to remind yourself of their importance.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                      It will never happen obviously
                      Because you'd fail a CRB or because you'rea lazy git?
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X