• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Immigration at record level

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Diver View Post
    We don't
    The Tories tried to tighten up border controls by sacking immigration officers, but strangely that has only allowed even more people in.

So Cameron is going to have to exclude more people form the immigration figures instead. How about anyone born abroad doesn't count?

Comment

This OP made me think of Peter Cook's Whoops Apocalypse , when he gets his union jack umbrella out and takes the approach of getting employed people to jump off the cliffs of dover to create jobs.. (Or unemployed to reduce employment).

Seriously though, I've been noticing the situation deteriorate really badly in the past 5 years and I think a lot of it has to do with our (the wests) influence in these developing nations.

I do not consider myself to be racist at all, but I find the following things very offensive (as a guy whos lived in many countries):

1. The 7 year rule that says if you're here for 7 years and have a kid thats seven years old, you get ILR . This encourages people to come illegally, pop one out and then hide in a group. - I learnt about this from an afghan who was telling me it was safe to go home and he wanted to, but he couldn't until the 7 year mark (in 6 months) .. He works illegally as a naan bread maker in a restuarant with 15 people in the kitchen in Manchester.

2. Southall train station getting badged up with translations in Arabic

3. Giving benefits, including council houses to people who clearly house illegal immigrants and hiding behind PC sentiments to not investigate. I know in Leeds 8 ICT workers who had family in Bradford who just went to them after 2 weeks of being in the UK - walking from the office.

4. The 7 , 14 year rules both openly saying that if you are facing deportation then you still have the right to apply. EVERY other country I've ever been to requires you to be OUTSIDE the country before you do any visa request - this includes when people go on holiday for 2 weeks!!!

5. All this money we spend on translating our health services and benefit system to cater to immigrants who cannot speak english.. It's a massive disrespect not to try and learn the language of the country you are planning to have permanent residence in - this really annoys me. We are just catering to abuse and saying come and consume our public services.

Another long rant post - sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
        WHS+1
        But the majority of people I'm worried about are from outside the EU, getting into Eastern Europe then flying "intra europe" from there for an easier entry.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          The Tories tried to tighten up border controls by sacking immigration officers, but strangely that has only allowed even more people in.

So Cameron is going to have to exclude more people form the immigration figures instead. How about anyone born abroad doesn't count?
          They have already started restructuring the system to make immigration figures more accurate.
          People will now only be classed as Immigrants if they stay permanently in the UK, so will only be included in the figures after they death and burial in the uk. (Cremated Immigrants don't count as it is considered that ~90% of the immigrant has left)
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Can anyone come up with a Tory party slogan for the next election?

How about:
            • A pledge is as good a lie
            • A manifesto assurance is manifestly effluence
            • Lies R us
            You didn't answer my point about free movement between EU member states. I'm not convinced I'm right - am I? If so, then what are you expecting? Surely Cameron's promises were all about non-EU immigration. And presumably the DM preferred not to mention that figure since it wouldn't be as big a number.

So, has Cameron broken his promise or not?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              It sure was , I know I'm so green when it comes to Switzerland
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
                This OP made me think of Peter Cook's Whoops Apocalypse , when he gets his union jack umbrella out and takes the approach of getting employed people to jump off the cliffs of dover to create jobs.. (Or unemployed to reduce employment).

Seriously though, I've been noticing the situation deteriorate really badly in the past 5 years and I think a lot of it has to do with our (the wests) influence in these developing nations.

I do not consider myself to be racist at all, but I find the following things very offensive (as a guy whos lived in many countries):

1. The 7 year rule that says if you're here for 7 years and have a kid thats seven years old, you get ILR . This encourages people to come illegally, pop one out and then hide in a group. - I learnt about this from an afghan who was telling me it was safe to go home and he wanted to, but he couldn't until the 7 year mark (in 6 months) .. He works illegally as a naan bread maker in a restuarant with 15 people in the kitchen in Manchester.

2. Southall train station getting badged up with translations in Arabic

3. Giving benefits, including council houses to people who clearly house illegal immigrants and hiding behind PC sentiments to not investigate. I know in Leeds 8 ICT workers who had family in Bradford who just went to them after 2 weeks of being in the UK - walking from the office.

4. The 7 , 14 year rules both openly saying that if you are facing deportation then you still have the right to apply. EVERY other country I've ever been to requires you to be OUTSIDE the country before you do any visa request - this includes when people go on holiday for 2 weeks!!!

5. All this money we spend on translating our health services and benefit system to cater to immigrants who cannot speak english.. It's a massive disrespect not to try and learn the language of the country you are planning to have permanent residence in - this really annoys me. We are just catering to abuse and saying come and consume our public services.

Another long rant post - sorry!
                I agree with it all though and what's worse is I thought that working outside the UK I could stop paying for all this but boy was I wrong
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  You didn't answer my point about free movement between EU member states. I'm not convinced I'm right - am I? If so, then what are you expecting? Surely Cameron's promises were all about non-EU immigration. And presumably the DM preferred not to mention that figure since it wouldn't be as big a number.

So, has Cameron broken his promise or not?
                  Amendment or bending of the rules (as other countries appear to do) to preventing this kind of mass immigration. If all else fails, a referendum on staying or leaving the EU.

What's going to happen if Greece, Spain etc fall and they all want to come here? At some stage something has to give. And Bobs and anyone else outside the EU should be counted in the immigration figures too.

Comment

The signs at Southall were in Punjabi last time I went. Not sure why they are apparently arabic now.

Comment

And Bobs and anyone else outside the EU should be counted in the immigration figures too.
                      I'm sure we were counted in the immigration figures.
                      Not sure about the ICT's now though.. would be very dodgy if they weren't

Comment

Working...
                      X