• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So, hands up if..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was only taking the piss. This kind of thing happens to the best of us. I cant fault you coming on here to vent a bit, CUK can be like that, the place where you pour out your emotions.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Bummer Hope some Good German can take time off from whatever nefarious upstanding activity they're up to and hand it in.

Comment

Well all they have now is a laptop sized brick, as it has a screensaver with password on it, a network cable, 8Gb USB drive with work related pdf manuals on it,a micro USB charger, now invalid bank details, a bunch of house keys that no longer work and a quite nice looking crumpler laptop bag.

At absolute worst case they have my name, address, current work address, bank account number (but no access) and so could start to attempt identity fraud but from speaking with Germans here it is an unheard of thing seeings as everything you do requires your identity number. Plus how likely is a petty train thief to be a hardened password cracker or identity fraudster?

There's always the chance its sat in some lost & found office and hasn't yet been linked to my lost luggage report.
        Last edited by chef; 22 May 2012, 05:46.
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Looking on the bright side, I now need a new laptop. The problem is I was waiting for the new macbooks to come out mid summer and so while I wait, perhaps the new ipad might be a good interim solution, then gf chef can have it for "work" later on.

Question is, is it cheaper to buy direct from apple then get a mobile data sim package from vodafone OR get it all from vodafone?? Hmmmm

Ooo and I see Crumpler have some new bags since I last bought mine years ago.. Gentleman Farmer, I like the sound/look of that.

Anyone have a recommended USB drive? Ideally something that's password protected and 8Gb+ ?
          Last edited by chef; 22 May 2012, 06:12.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
            Looking on the bright side, I now need a new laptop. The problem is I was waiting for the new macbooks to come out mid summer and so while I wait, perhaps the new ipad might be a good interim solution, then gf chef can have it for "work" later on.

Anyone have a recommended USB drive? Ideally something that's password protected and 8Gb+ ?
            Sorry to hear about the loss chef.
            As for temp use of an iPad and a USB drive, external hard drives will apparently work on the iPad through Apple's Camera Connection Kit but only if they’re externally powered: the iPad’s USB bus won't provide enough power to keep bus-powered devices running. However, because of the iPad’s design, the only files that the iPad will see on the external drive are images.

It's what put me off getting one

HTH
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
              as expected, lots of sympathy.

Not that it helps but the train was running late, I was stressing about catching the flight (which turned out to be delayed) and therefore forgot the 2nd piece of luggage, if only I was as perfect in all ways as you fa then this wouldn*t have happened.

As luck has it, the bank account details are reset, main passwords also and the only thing that costs is the replacement of house keys and macbook both of which are covered by insurance, so being a muppet (which I agree I was in this instance), but a muppet with insurance, has covered my back.

It makes you realise how vulnerable you are when you consider how much information you carry around in your laptop and that the login password is the first defence against general scum (or idiots who leave it for the taking depending on how you see it).
              Why do you think people on here are interested in your stupidity?

Post it on Facebook where someone gives a sh!t. Or at least pretends to.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post

I'm interested and I care

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                  I'm interested and I care
                  Sorry Dad.

So how much do you think you'll get for his Macbook?

Comment

Sorry Dad.

So how much do you think you'll get for his Macbook?
                    I'll probably get more for the Pron I found on it

About 7 years I think

Comment

Kind words Spod and well deserved by me. If you don't like the thread then don't post in it or stop reading once you've made the decision, all threads shouldn't have to be "in the interests of spod" much as you may want it.

By posting my stupidity it may perhaps make others think, "ahh yeah I really do need to get that backup of my stuff sorted out tonight" or perhaps "hmm maybe I should delete x,y,z from my usb drive in case I ever lose it".

I fully agree I was stupid, I've not said otherwise, but in the same way someone posting "my hard disks just died and my backup option is screwed" it might make others think more on the subject and prevent what could be a possible misfortune whether self inflicted or just through bad luck.

Comment

Working...
                      X