• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: So, hands up if..

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "So, hands up if.."

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    Most likely I think that if it's stolen it gets sold down the pub for cheap to someone who might know more about computers and that person would (if sensible) go with option 2b and resell the thing making a quick bit of money.
    That would be my guess - that's what we were hoping when MrsF had her laptop knicked.

Her passwords these days are pretty filthy because she set them in a rage after the little ****s had nabbed it!!!

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    That has me wondering. Which version of OS X are you using? If it's running Snow Leopard or earlier, a knowledgeable thief could simply stick in the OS DVD and hold "C" while powering on, and reinstall. Or do you have a hardware password set?

Not sure what happens with OS X Lion. In theory you could report your serial number to Apple and they would mark it as stolen. Dunno if the serial number is anywhere in the ROM though.
    OSX Lion. Yes, I've just found that out the hard way as well. No bios/firmware password set and no guest account created. So the thief would have 2 options:

1) try and hack the admin account password
    OR
    2) hold down c and reset the admin password via an install disc. This would let them then
    a) login to the machine (here's hoping) and see what's on it. NOT GOOD. Hidden would only kick in and report there location with a nice webcam pic if they connect to a network.
    OR
    b) re-install the OS, my option is I was a thief, although it might be that curiosity might get the better of me, not sure I would connect to the net on a stolen laptop though.

Most likely I think that if it's stolen it gets sold down the pub for cheap to someone who might know more about computers and that person would (if sensible) go with option 2b and resell the thing making a quick bit of money.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Something I have learned today is that there is a statutory reward of 2.5% of the value for items over €50 up to €500, with 1.5% payable on everything over the €500.
    damn you're right

Finder’s entitlement to a reward:
    In accordance with Sections 978 ff. German Civil Code, the finder of the item is entitled to a reward.
    The finder is entitled to a reward only if
    − the item found is worth at least € 50,00
    − the finder is not an employee of Deutsche Bahn AG, a subsidiary or associated company of DB AG
    − the finder has not agreed to forego a reward.
    The finder's reward shall amount to
    − 2.5 % of a value between € 50,00 and € 500,00 and
    − 1.5 % of the value in excess of € 500,00.
    When returning lost property to its lawful owner, we are obliged to disclose the owner's name and
    address to the finder to enable the latter to assert his claims to a reward as finder of the item.
    sounds good but it's only 10€ they receive
    OR
    they sell the macbook with a new install of the OS for 500€ and the bag for 25€ on ebay

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    yes locks need changing & yes my details are on the laptop but it is password protected. there is a letter in the bag with my details on it and my works swipe pass with name and photo on as well as the usb has my last invoice on it, so yes.
    If someone hands it in they will be given your name and address so they can claim their reward anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    I remove all crapware from my devices, be they M/phones or PC's. quite cheaply too. All it costs is a little time, a little patience and a whole load of accumalated frustration
    Did that for a mate recently. It took so long that I ended up staying for dinner.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Replacement of house keys can cost a fortune if you need the locks changed as well. I assume your laptop has your address on it somewhere.
    yes locks need changing & yes my details are on the laptop but it is password protected. there is a letter in the bag with my details on it and my works swipe pass with name and photo on as well as the usb has my last invoice on it, so yes.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Ironkey
    Corsair Flash Padlock 2
    Lok-It

Depends on how much storage you want and how much you want to pay. I found another one that I was looking at which after three or four incorrect PIN attempts would format the drive for you automagically. Not that useful for using when drunk though.
    I use a ridiculously long pass phrase for Trucrypt. Without Truecrypt's ability to display the password as you type I'd be capable of locking myself out when completely sober.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Well all they have now is a laptop sized brick, as it has a screensaver with password on it, a network cable, 8Gb USB drive with work related pdf manuals on it,a micro USB charger, now invalid bank details, a bunch of house keys that no longer work and a quite nice looking crumpler laptop bag.
    That has me wondering. Which version of OS X are you using? If it's running Snow Leopard or earlier, a knowledgeable thief could simply stick in the OS DVD and hold "C" while powering on, and reinstall. Or do you have a hardware password set?

Not sure what happens with OS X Lion. In theory you could report your serial number to Apple and they would mark it as stolen. Dunno if the serial number is anywhere in the ROM though.

At absolute worst case they have my name, address, current work address, bank account number (but no access) and so could start to attempt identity fraud but from speaking with Germans here it is an unheard of thing seeings as everything you do requires your identity number. Plus how likely is a petty train thief to be a hardened password cracker or identity fraudster?

There's always the chance its sat in some lost & found office and hasn't yet been linked to my lost luggage report.
    Keeping my fingers crossed.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    I remove all crapware from my devices, be they M/phones or PC's. quite cheaply too. All it costs is a little time, a little patience and a chainsaw
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Microsoft have introduced a delete the crapware from your PC service.

Microsoft charges to remove crapware

A snip at $99. Probably a hundred and fifty quid in the UK, given the usual thieving exchange rate that gets used
    I remove all crapware from my devices, be they M/phones or PC's. quite cheaply too. All it costs is a little time, a little patience and a whole load of accumalated frustration

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    A Windows laptop is like a lifetime sentence. You press a button. 20 minutes later it drags itself to life with as much effort as Suityou on the 1st day of a new contract, slovenly & inefficient.

No-one forgets they've got a f**king Windows laptop.
    Microsoft have introduced a delete the crapware from your PC service.

Microsoft charges to remove crapware

A snip at $99. Probably a hundred and fifty quid in the UK, given the usual thieving exchange rate that gets used

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I'll be considering a replacement pen drive with some sort of password security and wondered if anyone had any suggestions.
    Ironkey
    Corsair Flash Padlock 2
    Lok-It

Depends on how much storage you want and how much you want to pay. I found another one that I was looking at which after three or four incorrect PIN attempts would format the drive for you automagically. Not that useful for using when drunk though.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    As luck has it, the bank account details are reset, main passwords also and the only thing that costs is the replacement of house keys and macbook both of which are covered by insurance, so being a muppet (which I agree I was in this instance), but a muppet with insurance, has covered my back.

It makes you realise how vulnerable you are when you consider how much information you carry around in your laptop and that the login password is the first defence against general scum (or idiots who leave it for the taking depending on how you see it).
    Replacement of house keys can cost a fortune if you need the locks changed as well. I assume your laptop has your address on it somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Annoyingly I can't tell from here (sweden) as the phone number for lost and found at Deutsche Bahn is a premium rate number that my mobile wont accept internationally and the online search functionality on db's website doesn't recognise call center created lost items report, so I have to wait until I get back Thurs evening before shopping for new/replacement toys.

So now to look forward to the house key replacement costs. Not cheap in Germany.
    Or email them on [email protected]

It's worth considering getting a drive with FDE and password protecting it.

Something I have learned today is that there is a statutory reward of 2.5% of the value for items over €50 up to €500, with 1.5% payable on everything over the €500.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Try emailing them: [email protected] Or fill in the form here http://www.bahn.de/i/view/mdb/pv/pdf...lisch_1208.pdf and fax it to +49 69 265 21387

Leave a comment:

Working...
X