• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fast lane hoggers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strangely, I leased an Audi a couple of years back, and no matter what I did, people would not let me pull out into their lane, they'd stay in my way in lanes, and not let me out of junctions.

Then, a few weeks back, I rented a Jag XF and I was amazed at how much nicer people had become

Comment

So what happens if you were never in lane 3 and just pass them?

Are you undertaking or not?

In my mind, no, as an undertake implies changing lanes in order to pass someone, and I don't have to change lanes...
      Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
        Strangely, I leased an Audi a couple of years back, and no matter what I did, people would not let me pull out into their lane, they'd stay in my way in lanes, and not let me out of junctions.

Then, a few weeks back, I rented a Jag XF and I was amazed at how much nicer people had become
        Seems to be alot of audi drivers around who just cannot drive. I was nearly run over by one - AE07UGH. I wish I could find out his home address to make sure he does not drive again as he is going to kill someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
          Undertaking is illegal, unless you do it with a natural flow of traffic i.e. if the flow in the lane you are in, takes you past the traffic on the lane outside to you. If you do it to overtake, it is illegal, and considered dangerous driving
          Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          60 mph is not slow moving.

I think in this particular case it would be dangerous/careless, driving. Otherwise you could be doing it all the time.
          According to wiki, it's not something you'll get automatically penalised for. The rules on undertaking are to stop you weaving between lanes in traffic (like they do in the US):
          The Highway Code discourages undertaking on motorways with some exceptions (rule 268): "Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake". Undertaking is permitted in congested conditions when frequent lane changing is not recommended.[4] On other roads, the Code advises drivers "should only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right" (rule 163).[5] Rule 163 uses advisory wording and "will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted", but may be used in evidence to establishing liability in any court proceedings.[6] On all roads, undertaking is permitted if the vehicles in the lane to the right are queueing and slow moving. Undertaking in an aggressive or reckless manner could be considered Careless Driving or more seriously Dangerous Driving, both of which are legally enforceable offences.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
            So what happens if you were never in lane 3 and just pass them?

Are you undertaking or not?

In my mind, no, as an undertake implies changing lanes in order to pass someone, and I don't have to change lanes...
            If you are moving faster than the vehicle to the right, because of the flow of the traffic, then it appears to be ok, accoridng to rule 242. However, if there is no traffic, then you are simply moving faster, and cannot undertake.

It is all rather subjective though, so is dependent on the view of the traffic cop that's witnessed it, which is insane...

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              According to wiki, it's not something you'll get automatically penalised for. The rules on undertaking are to stop you weaving between lanes in traffic (like they do in the US):
              On the spot fines for undertaking
              The Department for Transport (DfT) said that too many motorists get away with careless driving such as cutting up other drivers, overtaking them on the inside or driving too close behind them.
              Last edited by BlasterBates; 21 May 2012, 12:33.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

And? There are clearly times undertaking is careless. It doesn't mean every undertake is careless.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  And? There are clearly times undertaking is careless. It doesn't mean every undertake is careless.
                  As already stated if the traffic's slow all chugging at 10-20 mph on a full motorway is not a problem.

Undertaking someone at 70 mph is careless (i.e. driver at 60 mph in the outside lane). That's the reason for the undertaking the DT are complaining about. Frustated drivers, whizzing past or tailgatiing.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

I am with d000hg here; not all undertakes are careless, or dangerous, and if you look into the Highway code, under 242, it allows for it.

There are discussions about making it illegal, but it's impractical to do so, if you can think of the M25 issue, where 4 lanes of traffic are each moving at different speeds.

That's why I think it's iffy, as it is too subjective at the moment.

Comment

As already stated if the traffic's slow all chugging at 10-20 mph on a full motorway is not a problem.

Undertaking someone at 70 mph is careless (i.e. driver at 60 mph in the outside lane). That's the reason for the undertaking the DT are complaining about. Frustated drivers, whizzing past or tailgatiing.
                      So why isn't the undertakee fined instead of the undertaker?

Comment

Working...
                      X