• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Digital piano/keyboard recommendations?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Very true.

Samples vary in quality though. Onboard bundled samples just don't compare with a dedicated software sampler where a Steinway set of samples can be anything from 1Gb to 40Gb and each note haveing 40 velocity layers.

You can gues my preference for a controller keyboard with no sounds of it's own but connected to a PC and sampler...
    I believe the Roland 307 has 128 velocity samples where the Korg has about 4, any sustained note has the warbling effect, anything outside an octave up or an octave down from C is simple manufactured. I use the Korg as a controller.

I tried out the new kit from roland (the td-30) the other week and it is awe inspiring, puts my td-12kv to shame, thinking about buying the module and selling the old one which will set me back a grand.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      I believe the Roland 307 has 128 velocity samples where the Korg has about 4, any sustained note has the warbling effect, anything outside an octave up or an octave down from C is simple manufactured. I use the Korg as a controller.

I tried out the new kit from roland (the td-30) the other week and it is awe inspiring, puts my td-12kv to shame, thinking about buying the module and selling the old one which will set me back a grand.
      As mentioned in a previous post got myself a Roland GR55 guitar synth and GK3 pickup fitted to the DBZ Bolero, no more crap keyboard playing can do it all from the guitar now. Great onboard sounds but MIDI it up to the PC and be able to access all the VSTi's is just amazing.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

We have a Roland HP500 series (can't remember which exact model). My son, who got grade 8 piano 4 years ago, and has progressed considerably since then, considers it as good as any upright. He still wants me to replace the dining room table with a grand piano.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
          Question, why do you need MIDI functionality? Hooking up to other keyboards? Connecting to a sequencer or score writing software?

If you intend to connect your shiny new keyboard to a computer (OSX or WIN), to use plugins gimme a shout if you'd like a Steinway grand
          Nice I will

I'm looking for something entry level, not too pricey that I can hook up to the PC via an M-Audio external USB interface (fast track Pro), but also can be used stand alone as a faux piano that folds away nicely when not in use.

The M-Audio price range is about right at this stage in the game.
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
          X