• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Starkey does it again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    oh I think religion factored in a lot of pre 1800's wars, post then it seemed mostly about profit.
    I think religion has figured as an excuse for a war where the real reason was to grab more land and riches and was a good way of giving your younger sons somthing to do instead of plotting to get hold of the family seat.

Even where religion was the driving force, the underlying reasons were more to do with either consolidating or extending influence and power, so again, an excuse, not a reason.

But then, I'm not a historian so I could be talking tosh.

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
      I think religion has figured as an excuse for a war where the real reason was to grab more land and riches and was a good way of giving your younger sons somthing to do instead of plotting to get hold of the family seat.

Even where religion was the driving force, the underlying reasons were more to do with either consolidating or extending influence and power, so again, an excuse, not a reason.

But then, I'm not a historian so I could be talking tosh.
      No you're right. The bloke opposite me was saying exactly the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        No you're right. The bloke opposite me was saying exactly the same thing.
        He sounds like a spot on sort of bloke.

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
          He sounds like a spot on sort of bloke.
          Yeah but he's a miserable sod who never laughs at anyone's jokes. Not mine, anyway.

Comment

Yeah but he's a miserable sod who never laughs at anyone's jokes. Not mine, anyway.
            Maybe you should make your jokes funny?
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Maybe you should make your jokes funny?
              Mine are funny! I just laughed at one only a couple of minutes ago!

Comment

Mine are funny! I just laughed at one only a couple of minutes ago!
                Tell us and lets see if anyone here laughs.

Comment

He's off again. Bloody guffawing away to himself. I wouldn't mind but I have a real doozy of a hangover this morning.

Comment

Religion is for people who don’t want to go to hell. Spirituality is for people who’ve been there.

one day at a time

Comment

Working...
                    X