• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reforming Employment Agencies?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone shoot this tulipe sockie.

Comment

ePetitions can be ignored or brushed under the carpet if the MPs so decide, but that's not the point. They exist as a way MPs can at least know what the public think is important... MPs' job is not to cave in to whatever is popular but make the decisions they consider best.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        I would be very exited to learn how you would force a seller to reveal his margin, if he didnt want to.

I was on one gig where a coworker doing the same job as me discovered he was on £50 a day less. He went ballistic , because the client had insisted that the agencies declared their margin and we were both quoted 17%.
        So after world war iii had broken out the agency explained that their profit margin was 17% but they had to layer in a training margin, an introductory chaperoning margin and some other bolks.
        He started whining about training and the agent said 'you should have asked' and the introductory stuff - 'well we sent you a map of how to get to the site'

This guy was ripped off BECAUSE of the declared margin. Whats the point of negotiating if their is no wriggle room ?

The Client may judge that he requires a little more skill in one direction so any two contractors working together doing the same role may not be equally productive in that area of expertise, so the rate may be slightly different, so what?

I know for a fact that I am getting £75 p/d less than the other contractor I work with for doing the same role, but that doesn't bother me as I think good luck to him for having a better agency and joined work before me when the rates were a bit higher. No big deal.

I don't need to know the commission agreed between the agent and the Client, but I want to know the true min/max scale proposed by the Client for the role. So if it is £300-£400 then the agent shouldn't pretend it is £250-£325 so that he keeps this extra on top of the agreed confidential commission with the Client. Usually they advertise these as "Negotiable" and ask for your rate first.

It really comes down to deciding if the Agency is acting as your employer or your agent? As an employer I think they are entitled to offer what the market pays, but as an agent they should represent your best interest and only get paid the confidential commission agreed with the client.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          My own view is that contractors are big enough and ugly enough to take their own responsibility for how they are treated by agencies and that such a well paid group of highly educated intelligent people are perfectly capable of looking after themselves - people like you bleating that they are victims doesnt stack up. The last thing anyone needs is a group of busybodies chucking red tape over everything just in order to have power and influence of their own. There is no dominance of any one agency and anything they do that is severely wrong is covered by the laws of the land anyway.

If you want transparency of charges/margins then legislation would have to apply it to the sale of goods and services across business everywhere. Apart from the cost of implementing and poilicing this interference all this would do would be to stimulate the small minded attitude that has become so prevalent of "what's in it for him".

You also have to ask yourself what is the worst thing that can happen? I would say its not having your bills paid and the agency going bust. You can check out the agency and withold timesheets if they fail to pay you - what else is there.

Anyway there is a group called the EAS and its people people clearly don't have much to do. Their report looks like they've really struggled to put something together to justify their existence and tax payers money.

A 20 billion plus industry with less than 1000 complaints is pretty impressive.

p://www.bis.gov.uk/assets/biscore/employment-matters/docs/e/12-498-employment-agency-standards-report-2010-11.pdf
          Contractors don't complain, we are used to being in the firing line and treated as disposable assets, It is part of the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Android View Post
            The Client may judge that he requires a little more skill in one direction so any two contractors working together doing the same role may not be equally productive in that area of expertise, so the rate may be slightly different, so what?

I know for a fact that I am getting £75 p/d less than the other contractor I work with for doing the same role, but that doesn't bother me as I think good luck to him for having a better agency and joined work before me when the rates were a bit higher. No big deal.

I don't need to know the commission agreed between the agent and the Client, but I want to know the true min/max scale proposed by the Client for the role. So if it is £300-£400 then the agent shouldn't pretend it is £250-£325 so that he keeps this extra on top of the agreed confidential commission with the Client. Usually they advertise these as "Negotiable" and ask for your rate first.

It really comes down to deciding if the Agency is acting as your employer or your agent? As an employer I think they are entitled to offer what the market pays, but as an agent they should represent your best interest and only get paid the confidential commission agreed with the client.

You really are a prize fool!

Who says they are your agent????????

TW@T

Tone

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              How about mentioning at the interview that the job sounds really interesting and you are keen to start, but that £9/hour seems a bit low.
              That was a random advertised job used as an example. Sadly I have two very hard working guys at the moment assigned to me for a refresh project who are getting a fraction less than that, and they are about 5/6 weeks behind on their first pay cheque. They are struggling but trapped until they get fully paid. Not nice.

Their agency is a new upstart bidding on price alone at the cut throat business end.

Comment

Mercenaries do not form armies unless you pay them. No matter what the cause.

Except maybe a direct threat like BN66.

So I'd say you were pissing into the wind here, except that you are digging a big whole for yourself at the same time.
                Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

Android, I think it's a useful suggestion. Don't let yourself be put off by all the negative posts, because people here are not really as dimwitted as they might first appear.
                  Der going over der to get der der's.

Comment

Originally posted by darrenb View Post
                    people here are not really as dimwitted as they might first appear.
                    That's true.

Comment

Originally posted by darrenb View Post
                      Android, I think it's a useful suggestion. Don't let yourself be put off by all the negative posts, because people here are not really as dimwitted as they might first appear.
                      That is possibly one of THE most insulting comments I have ever has the misfortune to read on this site.
                      I definately as dimwitted as I first appear

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X