• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you were to go perm what would you want your salary(+bonuses) to be?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple of good points above re: bored with contracting / end career. I'm not interested IT. In fact it bores me rigid, plus the downside / risk in the future is massive as IT skills become more of a commodity.

The opportunity to take a directors / senior directors / VP role exists mostly as a perm opportunity. As contractors the vast majority have no control or say over their destiny. As perms of course you have even less on the whole. But as the leaders of the company you have the most say and
    control. Without that I agree contracting makes more sense.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Couple of good points above re: bored with contracting / end career. I'm not interested IT. In fact it bores me rigid, plus the downside / risk in the future is massive as IT skills become more of a commodity.

The opportunity to take a directors / senior directors / VP role exists mostly as a perm opportunity. As contractors the vast majority have no control or say over their destiny. As perms of course you have even less on the whole. But as the leaders of the company you have the most say and
      control. Without that I agree contracting makes more sense.
      CTO or director would be the only role I'd go back to perm for. I think as I get older, being independent makes more sense.

Comment

Contractors have a habit of 'over stating' their worth. I would have thought that most would be happy at £70/£80k.
        Most contractors do though the number of ass clowns I've worked with over the years on £100k plus as permie makes me think in the right company you'd have to try and take the piss just a little and you'd probably get away with it.

The last client contact I had was on £100k+ and worth every penny of it. There was a supplier we both worked with who paid a lot of people 6 figures and they were mostly tulip.

Now contracting for another client who use the same supplier and the supplier have made murmors about me going perm. Have refused so far but if they did I'd have to ask >£100k just because I know they're stupid enough to probably pay it.

Comment

I'm going to put my company dormant and take a 2-3 year stint in a carribean island at 100k+ USD a year, if I can pull it off ..

Comment

The distribution is interesting in this thread. Is
            it that those who have voted >120k are
            voting on the £72k plus takehome after tax or that that's what they believe they are worth??? No techie is worth more than 100k on this site.

Comment

No techie is worth more than 100k on this site.
              Oi, speak for yourself!!!

Comment

Looking at the poll responses there are many contractors who are going to have a heart attack if/when they choose to go permie. :
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                  Looking at the poll responses there are many contractors who are going to have a heart attack if/when they choose to go permie. :
                  There's a lot in cloud cuckoo land.

Oh, I'm a tester and I'd like £120k basic please.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    It depends, what are my dependancies, what are my out goings, have I managed to pay off my mortgage, how much have I put aside from my time contracting, how much of a SIPP have I got?

Are you sure you are cut out for asking polls?
                    Yes and where is our stalwart option, AndyW / AndyW's mum / AndyW is all I need / etc

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                      Yes and where is our stalwart option, AndyW / AndyW's mum / AndyW is all I need / etc
                      It threw me for a moment. Its first in the list. Quite a nice little curveball from MF there I thought - keep us on our toes.

Comment

Working...
                      X