• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question to landlords... claiming on insurance due to tenants trashing the place

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Sue in small claims court, if they don't turn up then they'll lose by default - at least with CCJ they won't easily pass credit check if they ever decide to rent somewhere upmarket ....
    No point if you don't know where they've gone,

They've probably already got CCJs. One more will make no difference.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      No point if you don't know where they've gone,
      He knows their current address

I take it no credit check was made on them.

Comment

Sue in small claims court, if they don't turn up then they'll lose by default - at least with CCJ they won't easily pass credit check if they ever decide to rent somewhere upmarket ...

P.S. Get deposit to at least a month or even 6 weeks.
        You really are detached from reality. They have no money to lose. They have no credit. Agents can't demand a big deposit because they don't have it... people who can afford a deposit live elsewhere
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Wrong again: Property to rent in Greenwich - Houses & Flats to rent in Greenwich. Weekly rent does not mean bottom-end.
          Not sure you can class those as good examples, all the p/w places seem to be posh twunts letting out their houses during the olympics, not true rental properties. I have only gone a couple of pages in but every let I have ever seen has been p/m.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            You really are detached from reality.
            I am not actually, but you certainly are - otherwise you would not get into this game of letting weekly to people who can't afford proper deposit and who'll steal your tulip.

I mean are you stupid or what? If anything you should have built this risk into the price you charge many times over and therefore still be quids in when somebody does it to your place.

Or maybe not get into this game in the first place.

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaandddddddddddd Looooooooooooorrrdddddddddddddddd...

Sounds nice eh? Well, if you really wanted it then you could have just cheaply buy a pint of beer named that way rather than risk your hard earned money letting your place to people who will trash it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              Or get down the pub and offer a few unemployed lads cash in hand to do the job.
              They might even be your previous tenants.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

His biggest mistake was getting involved into trying to make money in that segment of the market.
                It depends what he paid for the place and how much it would be worth if sold. There are plenty of folks who do make money in that market.

FYI - my monthly rent is £1000 and I got 6 weeks deposit with 12 month contract.
                That's a different market sector.

... and still the place was not furnished!
                And by dint of that you have more tenancy rights than someone renting a furnished place. Furnishing or part furnishing is a way that landlords gain more rights to chuck bad tenants out.

Comment

Generally one needs to be a **** to be a slum landlord. Or at least, you need to be a bigger **** than your tenants.

And by dint of that you have more tenancy rights than someone renting a furnished place. Furnishing or part furnishing is a way that landlords gain more rights to chuck bad tenants out.
                  That's rubbish. Those terms don't have any legal meaning and putting furniture in doesn't confer any additional rights.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    They might even be your previous tenants.
                    You might even find out where the previous tenants are.

When exploringing renting as a Plan B in the 90s in the North East (which I believe is where doogie's property is), one of the better plans I came across was to rent to students:
                    • The prices are pretty well defined and the marketing is easy (Students Union noticeboard).
                    • Charge per head rather than per room - 2 girls who want to share a room - boomed!
                    • Don't let them stay over summer - no problem with tenancy rights.
                    • Don't let them stay over summer - send some lads in with cleaning materials and emulsion. Job sorted.

The going rate for lads sent in to do the job was a tenner a day in the NE in the 90s (as mentioned above, get yourself down the pub to find 'em).

Comment

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...our-house.html

Looks like you're not cut out for being an accidental landlord.
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X