• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Attitude of people on low pay !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    So NAT do you rock up at McDonalds and offer them a few quid extra to cook your burger better?

Or do you think its adequate to expect it done properly for the going rate of a burger?
    Would you work as cheerfully and diligently if you client cuts your rate 30%?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      Look, we're at the point where we need to start charging proper consultancy rates if you can't sort this out yourself.
      Tell you what OG. I'll give you £10 an hour to clean my house. (as long as you wear a short skirt).
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        If you're going via an agency and paying a tenner an hour, cleaner is probably on minimum wage.

Child #2 just started work at local pub/restaurant. Shocked to find that, at 20, min wage is < £5. Fortunately she's making a fair bit in tips, although at lot of that is out of her direct control if the food is slow/burnt/cold etc.

Maybe worth giving your cleaner an extra few quid if he/she does a good job.
        Last one had her own business. Thought this would be better because:-

1) She keeps all the money she gets - no agency cut.
        2) Its her business so she might actually care about how good the work was.

Alas, it seems not.... :-(

Comment

Tell you what OG. I'll give you £10 an hour to clean my house. (as long as you wear a short skirt).
          But I'll do a bad job and then leave early - we've already established that, so I don't see how it moves anything forward.

Comment

So NAT do you rock up at McDonalds and offer them a few quid extra to cook your burger better?

Or do you think its adequate to expect it done properly for the going rate of a burger?
            I don't rock up anywhere, but yes, I do pay a "few quid" extra if I want a burger. Though not at McDonalds, since I prefer burgers that are not made from "meat" recovered by steam cleaning carcasses.

However, given your current track record, I'd imagine you get a few undesired extras on your "going rate" burger.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Would you work as cheerfully and diligently if you client cuts your rate 30%?
              Who cut her rate? I didnt.

She runs a business. She quoted £10 an hour. Are you saying that because I didnt offer to pay more then I can expect sub-standard service?

Comment

I'm with psycho here.

We had the same issues with cleaners in Surrey. £15 an hour, which, I believe, is a fair amount of money, and the service would decline after a while, and that was with 4 or 5 cleaners.

The only time it stayed at a consistent level, was when we were standoffish with the Cleaner and treated it less friendly than before.

Maybe that's the issue, maybe you're too friendly, and they end up taking the piss a little too much.

Comment

Who cut her rate? I didnt.

She runs a business. She quoted £10 an hour. Are you saying that because I didnt offer to pay more then I can expect sub-standard service?
                  You said you didn't think people would do better work for more money, so conversely cutting your pay should equally not make you work worse.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    You said you didn't think people would do better work for more money, so conversely cutting your pay should equally not make you work worse.
                    No he didn't, he implied that were you to pay mcdonalds a few more quid would you expect a better burger.

Which is a fair point. If someone says, I will charge you £10 to clean your car, and only does half of it, you'd be a bit aggrieved. It's the same principle; she's agreed to clean his house for £10 an hour, 2 hours a week. She's charging for 2 hours, but not working the 2 hours. Regardless of the quality of the work, this is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                      I'm with psycho here.

We had the same issues with cleaners in Surrey. £15 an hour, which, I believe, is a fair amount of money, and the service would decline after a while, and that was with 4 or 5 cleaners.

The only time it stayed at a consistent level, was when we were standoffish with the Cleaner and treated it less friendly than before.

Maybe that's the issue, maybe you're too friendly, and they end up taking the piss a little too much.
                      Being business-like is all well and good, but referring to the cleaner as 'it' is a bit much IMO

Comment

Working...
                      X