• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car engine cut out & crashed!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I actually couldn't turn the wheel. I was driving, started to turn, the steering just went solid and I had to brake. Then noticed the engine had died. There was no splutter & yes I had the clutch down.
    What happened to the chauffeur? You are not cut for the contracting blah blah blah....

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      The steering wheel locked not was hard to turn so it sounds like electrical failure. The same effect as if you'd taken the ignition key out.

There could be a short circuit somewhere.
      No, Thats because the steering lock goes on when you remove the key. Loss of hydraulic pressure from the steering pump making steering suddenly harder would only result from loss of fluid or engine failure/stopping.
      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

So it's an intermittent fault?

The car can be driven for short periods normally; the battery provides enough juice to restart the car? Maybe soggy electrics or a dodgy electrical component?

Seems to be some red herrings involved here. Two batteries failed? Also not sure about the steering "locking" or whether it was just harder and appeared locked.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          So it's an intermittent fault?

The car can be driven for short periods normally; the battery provides enough juice to restart the car? Maybe soggy electrics or a dodgy electrical component?

Seems to be some red herrings involved here. Two batteries failed? Also not sure about the steering "locking" or whether it was just harder and appeared locked.
          That's a valid point. I had stopped by then.

I'll get the AA back out to check the electrics. I'm not driving it home as the road I need is windy, windy & if it does cut out I'm going off the road.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

You were almost certainly draining the battery. In future stick to car sharing with Zoiderman.

“Auto Suck” Road Head Simulator Reviewed (Verdict: “AAA”) – Boing Boing Gadgets

Comment

When you say it's the second time it [the flat battery] happened. Was the first time before or after your holiday? Trying to work out whether not having driven the car for a couple of weeks is a red herring.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                The steering wheel locked not was hard to turn so it sounds like electrical failure. The same effect as if you'd taken the ignition key out.

There could be a short circuit somewhere.
                Steering column locks, although operated by turning the key, are mechanical. That's why they deter people from hotwiring the car (as simply bypassing the ignition switch doesn't disengage the steering lock) and an electrical failure isn't quite the same thing as taking the key out.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Presumably the AA would have checked the output of the alternator as a matter of course when replacing a battery, so can rule out a fault in the charging system?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Call the AA.

Apparently they're the 4th emergency service.
                    Them or the coastguard
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                      Car had been off the road for a few weeks(one when I cycled to work), the second when I was away. When we got back, flat battery. It's the second time it had happened so I had the AA out to fit a new battery last night.

Jump in this morning and it starts fine, drive a few miles. Sounds like it needs a bit of oil, turn a corner albeit at about 10 miles an hour & all of a sudden the steering locks, the wheel won't turn and I go straight into a wall. Luckily I wasn't going very fast and was able to brake so no real damage. Then I notice that the engine has died!!!

I've parked up now. Is this related to the battery or probably just needed a longer run? If it does it when I'm going faster I could be in a lot of trouble???

Any ideas?
                      I thought you had flounced??

Comment

Working...
                      X