• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car engine cut out & crashed!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    How the hell did you manage that with a straight face?
    Ghost writer

Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
      She probably thought "This shouldn't last too long, I'll make a killing on the life insurance!"...
      She's still with me after over thirty years

After all my accidents and incidents, all she ever says is "Nearly is not good enough"
      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        And what did the garage say?
        Don't shoot the messenger.

I had the AA back out in the morning. I explained the situation(it also did it at as I slowed down at a junction on the way home). I'd noticed that the rev counter was fluctuating, rising then dropping suddenly while idling.

Anyway AA guy comes out the next day. Has a look, cannot find anything. The revs is no longer fluctuating. So he plugs his computer in and we go for a drive. It doesn't do it, I also note that the revs are slightly higher.

Basically he gave me this spiel about how the internal computer that drives the air intake, controls etc would have reset when the battery was replaced and it takes a bit of a run to 'relearn' the voltage to ensure it gets the settings accurate. It's not done it since.

True or bulltulip?
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Sounds like bullsh*t to be honest, I mean it shouldn't crash the car should it! He was just thinking of something clever to say because he didn't find anything. Still you never know if it doesn't happen again he might have a point.
          Last edited by BlasterBates; 23 April 2012, 08:36.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

I had the AA back out in the morning. I explained the situation(it also did it at as I slowed down at a junction on the way home). I'd noticed that the rev counter was fluctuating, rising then dropping suddenly while idling.

Anyway AA guy comes out the next day. Has a look, cannot find anything. The revs is no longer fluctuating. So he plugs his computer in and we go for a drive. It doesn't do it, I also note that the revs are slightly higher.

Basically he gave me this spiel about how the internal computer that drives the air intake, controls etc would have reset when the battery was replaced and it takes a bit of a run to 'relearn' the voltage to ensure it gets the settings accurate. It's not done it since.

True or bulltulip?
            On my old Sierra I had to go through a similar ceremony, in your case it is probably true.

I also had problems with the flywheel position sensor getting wet or dirty, it plays havoc with the revs.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

True or bulltulip?

Sounds like he should work in IT!!

Tone

Comment

Working...
              X