• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Many moons ago...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Is train plus bike doable?
    Into Euston, 2 Tubes and then out again - not really.

Plus I'd rather not ride in London as yet!

Tone

Comment

Originally posted by Sands of Time View Post
      What are the main differences between a HYBRID and MTB?
      There are degrees of hybrid ranging from trail bikes that are a lot like mountain bikes with slightly thinner tires and lighter weight suspension to city bikes with slick skinny tyres and no suspension at all.

Something like this is very much road oriented with 700C wheels, road bike components and no suspension.

Specialized Sirrus Limited 2012 Hybrid Bike | Evans Cycles

While this is much more towards the "lightweight mountain bike" end of the spectrum

Ghost Cross 9000 2012 Hybrid Bike | Evans Cycles

An MTB will have fatter knobblier tires and more capable suspension with e.g. 4-5 inches of travel rather than 2-3. The frame geometry and riding position might be a bit more relaxed and easy to control off road as well.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Zoiderman View Post
        Effectively, you get the speed and weight of a road bike, a better riding position, and the better control, and durability of a MTB

Bigger tyres than a road bike, less chunky than MTB
        many more moons ago they used to make some hybrids with road bike diameter wheels for more efficient use of your energy
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Into Euston, 2 Tubes and then out again - not really.

Plus I'd rather not ride in London as yet!

Tone
          Is the barclays cycle hire a possibility? They are very good bikes for London - heavy but finely balanced. A friend had a crash with one - came off very badly but the barclays bike untouched.

Comment

As I'm somewhat rotund and portley - it has to be strong.

I'm off to Evans on Saturday to have a peddle round the car park.

What are the main differences between a HYBRID and MTB?

I'll mainly be using it on cycle routes and a little bit rough stuff in the woods - I want it to be robust enough to handle me and my packed lunch.

Tone
            Are you pleased with it after a few day's playing?

I doubt anything has fallen off (apart from the rider).

HYBRID= road use with a little off road. Gears & Tyres set so you get OK performance on road (higher gears, slicker tyres).

MTB - poor on road (Knobbly tyres and low gears) best off road.

reason I selected a hybrid is MTB resilience with OK road speed (still lose out to racer bikes).
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              Are you pleased with it after a few day's playing?

I doubt anything has fallen off (apart from the rider).

HYBRID= road use with a little off road. Gears & Tyres set so you get OK performance on road (higher gears, slicker tyres).

MTB - poor on road (Knobbly tyres and low gears) best off road.

reason I selected a hybrid is MTB resilience with OK road speed (still lose out to racer bikes).

Yes - I got a Specialized Hard Rock MTB - very light - £450 (recommended here)

I couldn't justify a £1000 on the other one I was looking at.

Also got a helmet, car rack, lock, lights, gel saddle, pump... etc etc - cost nearly as much as the bike!

Evans Cycles were very good - young guy didn't laugh too much when I told him I haven't really cycled this century!

Haven't fallen off... yet.

Just ridden round a local lake - loads of MTB trails near where I live, but I do need to get my stamina up!

Knackering - new muscles found!

Ar$s hurts, even with a gel saddle.

ALSO... I 'could' cycle to new gig - only found out this week.

All good...

Cheers!

Tone

Comment

Working...
              X