• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I open another ISA today, before the end of this financial year?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    The tax advantages of the schemes now are nowhere near as good as they used to be. Blame Gordon for that.
    Eh? Gordon Brown is guilty of many things but it's not his fault BoE keeps rates at near zero - hence returns on risky investments are too low even if tax taken into account.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Eh? Gordon Brown is guilty of many things but it's not his fault BoE keeps rates at near zero - hence returns on risky investments are too low even if tax taken into account.
      Shh! You should know by now the Gordon's to blame for everything, even if it was Tony, John or Maggie that introduced it. That's the CUK way.

Comment

sigh, let me explain.

Back in the 1990s, income generated from investments in the stock market was received with a 20% (basic tax rate) tax credit. Gordon reduced this to 10% (that on its own did not make a difference, companies still paid corporation tax at the company rate and the 10% tax credit satisfied the tax liability for all basic rate tax payers even if they were 25% tax payers).

However, non tax payers - that includes Individual Savings Accounts (ISA), Pensions and low earners used to be able to reclaim those tax credits from HMRC.

They can't now, Gordon took that away so it is entirely fair to blame him for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
          They can't now, Gordon took that away so it is entirely fair to blame him for that.
          Ok, let's say Gordon the Devil Brown took away 10% tax credit.

Big ****ing deal when ConDems keep rates at 0.5% when they should have been at least 10 times more - this means they took away 90% of interest you and every saver should have been receiving on their saved money.

Personally I think there should be no tax on interest on savings just to encourage them, but having tax credit on that is a step too far - you want to get paid to save ffs?

Comment

Ok, let's say Gordon the Devil Brown took away 10% tax credit.

Big ****ing deal when ConDems keep rates at 0.5% when they should have been at least 10 times more - this means they took away 90% of interest you and every saver should have been receiving on their saved money.

Personally I think there should be no tax on interest on savings just to encourage them, but having tax credit on that is a step too far - you want to get paid to save ffs?
            A Russian who refuses to pay his TV licence is lecturing the UK populace on tax.

I give you new labour's bigest f3ck up.

Comment

Best best, open a self selecting share ISA, such as with SelfTrade, put the lot in one AIM share, big clue - xcite energy. Come back in a year and it will have trebled.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                A Russian who refuses to pay his TV licence is lecturing the UK populace on tax.
                It's not a license, it's a tax which I do pay since I watch Sky TV sometimes.

Comment

The clue's in the name, 'license'.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Is it better to save all the money up for a stock and share ISA then dump it in in one go? Or standing order each month?

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                      Is it better to save all the money up for a stock and share ISA then dump it in in one go? Or standing order each month?
                      If you've got the cash now, and understand the risk profile of equities, simply stick it in in one go. If you haven't, or prefer to "average" out the risk a little bit over the year, then do it a bit at a time. Whichever route you go, make sure you are thinking of at least a 5-10 year investment window for equities.
                      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                      X