• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its 8-6 at the moment, not much in it.

....hmmm

Lets have some case studies, you know "sob stories" etc etc.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

UK/London is a great place to make cash and plan a getaway.

Not that I mind the UK apart from the weather and the food, which just get's to me. Long term their are better options.

New York - best place I've ever lived or been too.
      Sydney - fantastic lifestyle, but remoteness get's to you after a while
      Amsterdam - yawn, if you've spent a weekend there you've seen it all. Plus the Dutch while being superficially nice are some of the hardest people on the planet to get to know.

Places I've spent time (not long term though) in I'd rate : Tokyo is a blast, Honk Kong is full on and would be good if you're single, San Fran would be my 2nd choice US city and Vancouver for me is absolutly fantastic (Then again I'm a snowboardng maniac and it's pretty damn close to some amazing terrain).

Worst place would have to be LA - a more souless city I've never been to.

PS. Dimprawn - on that list which country doesn't have most of those 'issues', in lot's of cases more so?
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw
        New York - best place I've ever lived or been too.
        Sydney - fantastic lifestyle, but remoteness get's to you after a while

Agree entirely, would have to add Toronto and Melbourne for top cities though.

Comment

Zurich - I chucked rubbish on the floor there, turned around and someone had taken it away already! Lovely place - clean air, everyone speaks english and there is a very low risk of getting shot at.
          Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

So many....

Stockholm: Great city - the water makes it very attractive. Not for everyone since Swedish culture hard to adapt to and the loooong winters too!!

Dallas: Not everyone's cup of tea but there is plenty to do - it's just pretty spread out!

New York: Enough said about this great city already!

San Fran: Lived on the East Bay for 6 months. Great city. They have now extended the BART so you can get into downtown SF more easily. Great access to Napa valley, skiing at Lake Tahoe, sailing, beaches close by.

Syndey: great bars and nightlife, sailing, climate

Auckland: sailing, waterfront bars, restaurants.

Queenstown: bit remote but certainly plenty to do! Just admire the beauty of Lake Wakatipu!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
              Surely this is a typo and should be 7am!

Mailman
              ...maybe, had one of the scariest nights of my life in Capetown. Was working out there on a project a couple of years ago and the client and I managed to get mugged twice in the same night.

First time was walking from the V&A waterfront into town (7.45 pm), this guy pulled out a knife and liberated our wallets. Then, 20 minutes later, we're still trying to find the police station and two guys in a car pull over and try to mug us again. They would not believe that we'd already been done over once - it would have been funny except for the fact that I was concentrating too hard on not sh*tting myself.

Apart from that , it's fantastic. If you're driving it's best to keep the doors locked and treat red traffic lights as a suggestion, rather than a rule.
              Plan A is located just about here.
              If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                An ex-gf of mine who lives in S.A. carries a natty little 9mm with her.

All the time.
                But that's just in case she runs into you, isn't it?
                Plan A is located just about here.
                If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Working...
                X