• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone used 'Red' Diesel in their Cars?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found out at the weekend it is common practice to run on 'red' in my current part of the World. As it happened this popped up this morning:

MPs want action on NI fuel fraud

"Northern Ireland is estimated to have lost £70m in tax revenue due to fuel fraud in 2009/10, down from £250m five years ago."

There are only 1.6 million people here!

Comment

If I ever saw an amputee being hung, I'd just start shouting out letters
      I only took me two hours to get that... ha ha...
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        And sailing yachts (no that's not a non sequitur)
        Was the right to use red diesel in non-commercial boats not removed a couple of years ago ?
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
          Was the right to use red diesel in non-commercial boats not removed a couple of years ago ?
          Can you buy it in international waters?

Comment

In the context of that German fine it was probably an EU directive.

In the same vein, US Senate mulls higher fuel tax for private planes

For canal boats 20 years ago, yes you could use red diesel, but because you couldn't really drive the thing to the cheapest garage you were stuck with high prices for the stuff, and it wasn't such a great saving.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

No idea, haven't been sailing that recently. Probably though since it was for pleasure rather than commercial purposes.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Yes it doesn't meet the quality of standard modern diesel.
                It does. I know because about 18 months ago I had to search high and low for some red diesel for a Euro 5 engined piece of plant. Hard as hens teeth to find. All the suppliers at the time were making the switch at the time so all the new red diesel is the same as road diesel with the dye. Now is easy as chips to find.

Originally posted by eek View Post
                I don't think canal boats can use it nowadays. I think they require duty to be paid.
                Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                Yep and canal boats
                You can only use a certain % for heating and the rest for cruising. AFAIK if that is the case the crusting is tax at red if not its classed as heating oil and taxed heavily.

Comment

I don't know much about diesel (dont use it) but why cant you just dye red diesel black or filter the fuel?

Comment

Originally posted by wim121 View Post
                    I don't know much about diesel (dont use it) but why cant you just dye red diesel black or filter the fuel?
                    Because there are other chemical indicators mixed with the "red" diesel.

Road going diesel isn't black and morons who mix red diesel with used engine oil have also been caught due to the chemical indicators.

Comment

Originally posted by wim121 View Post
                      No Tulip!

HTH

Comment

Working...
                      X