• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone used 'Red' Diesel in their Cars?"

Collapse

• filthy1980
    replied
    a "friend" used it a lot when commuting

did about 60k miles on the stuff saving £20 a tank

mechanic warned against it as said it would degrade seals etc

fuel injectors eventually went on the car, but this was a common problem on ford mondeo's that have 180k on the clock

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Not personally but had a mate who used to use it quite regularly when we were younger. He compunded it by nicking the stuff as well.
    In for a penny, in for a pound.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Not personally but had a mate who used to use it quite regularly when we were younger. He compunded it by nicking the stuff as well.

Leave a comment:

• ZuiderZee
    replied
    Originally posted by wim121 View Post
    I don't know much about diesel (dont use it) but why cant you just dye red diesel black or filter the fuel?
    No Tulip!

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by wim121 View Post
    I don't know much about diesel (dont use it) but why cant you just dye red diesel black or filter the fuel?
    Because there are other chemical indicators mixed with the "red" diesel.

Road going diesel isn't black and morons who mix red diesel with used engine oil have also been caught due to the chemical indicators.

Leave a comment:

• wim121
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Yes it doesn't meet the quality of standard modern diesel.
    It does. I know because about 18 months ago I had to search high and low for some red diesel for a Euro 5 engined piece of plant. Hard as hens teeth to find. All the suppliers at the time were making the switch at the time so all the new red diesel is the same as road diesel with the dye. Now is easy as chips to find.

Originally posted by eek View Post
    I don't think canal boats can use it nowadays. I think they require duty to be paid.
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Yep and canal boats
    You can only use a certain % for heating and the rest for cruising. AFAIK if that is the case the crusting is tax at red if not its classed as heating oil and taxed heavily.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Was the right to use red diesel in non-commercial boats not removed a couple of years ago ?
    No idea, haven't been sailing that recently. Probably though since it was for pleasure rather than commercial purposes.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Was the right to use red diesel in non-commercial boats not removed a couple of years ago ?
    In the context of that German fine it was probably an EU directive.

In the same vein, US Senate mulls higher fuel tax for private planes

For canal boats 20 years ago, yes you could use red diesel, but because you couldn't really drive the thing to the cheapest garage you were stuck with high prices for the stuff, and it wasn't such a great saving.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Can you buy it in international waters?

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    And sailing yachts (no that's not a non sequitur)

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    If I ever saw an amputee being hung, I'd just start shouting out letters
    I only took me two hours to get that... ha ha...

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    I found out at the weekend it is common practice to run on 'red' in my current part of the World. As it happened this popped up this morning:

MPs want action on NI fuel fraud

"Northern Ireland is estimated to have lost £70m in tax revenue due to fuel fraud in 2009/10, down from £250m five years ago."

There are only 1.6 million people here!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Yep and canal boats
    And sailing yachts (no that's not a non sequitur)

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Fair enough - that was a while ago.

I wonder if planes could use it? I know the Nazis had diesel bombers but maybe the idea didn't catch on.
    Diesel Air Limited

Leave a comment:

Working...
X