• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oil/Petrol Prices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Set a maximum price. Some of us are (all be it highly paid) permies.
    Does anyone else use the long hand for that rather than albeit?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
      Judging by how busy the roads are petrol is still quite cheap.
      Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      +1
      Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      +2

Compared to the cost of housing, petrol is almost free. Roads are absolutely packed. Add 50p duty FFS.
      I usually agree with you three, but that has to be the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. You really should all slap yourselves for saying something so silly.

Petrol is not cheap. The UK has one of the highest fuel rates in the world and even higher than countries where they have to pay extortionate import fees or have mass corruption.

Trying to price people off the roads via fuel duty is moronic. All it does is drive up the cost of public transport alternatives while driving up consumer goods and grocery prices making hard stretched families even more hard done by.

Comment

Originally posted by wim121 View Post
        Trying to price people off the roads via fuel duty is moronic. All it does is drive up the cost of public transport alternatives while driving up consumer goods and grocery prices making hard stretched families even more hard done by.
        If you can think of another way to drive traffic levels back to the 90s then Im all for it. People managed then, with the bus or they walked.

Id happily pay double what I pay now to actually be able to have the pleasure of driving somewhere rather than it being grid locked and regularly having my commute taking twice the time it should do.

Comment

Trying to price people off the roads via fuel duty is moronic. All it does is drive up the cost of public transport alternatives
          Don't public transport vehicles get an exemption or something, the way boats and farm vehicles do? If not, they damn well should.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
            Judging by how busy the roads are petrol is still quite cheap.
            Given my ability to stay so close to home for the last 10 months (and hopefully the next 6 months) I would happily see petrol go up by say another 50p/litre in the short-term. At least the roads would clear to turn my 8 min journey down the road into a 3-4 min one......
            Last edited by NorthWestPerm2Contr; 24 March 2012, 18:34.

Comment

Anyone ever brew their own Bio Diesel? You can get kits for it - Golden Ray - Suppliers of Biodiesel Processors and Equipment for Home Production based in Wycombe, South East UK

Think you can produce up to a certain ammount each year before any duty is due.
              Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Nows definitely the time to buy a gas guzzler... Just picked up a 2005 83k mileage Jaguar S-Type R, 400bhp 4.2 supercharged for less than 6k - was a 50k car new (without any options).

Fingers crossed petrol prices dont go any crazier, otherwise I'll have to LPG it.

Comment

And petrol engine will run just fine after 83k miles?

Comment

30mpg on super unleaded, and it still costs about the same for me to drive to work as it does on the train (assuming I don't mind the 1 mile walk at each end and don't use busses/taxis). I guess if I bought a boring sensible car, it'd be half the cost of the train. On that basis, petrol is still relatively cheap. There's no cheaper way I can get to work, and it's not like I can not work.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I usually agree with you three,
                      Ouch.

Comment

Working...
                      X