• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So - Good Budget or Bad Budget?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since when was a pasty junk food?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Firstly, please provide a citation.

Secondly... I thought luxury foods were taxed more.
      well a bit of googling states that obesity is costing the NHD between 4 and 22 Billion per year depending on what report you read - expected to reach £50 bn by 2050

smoking related deaseases cost the NHS approx 5 BN per year - however any disease of the heart or repiratory system seems to be classed as 'smoking' related - I am not sure how many 'non smokers' die of 'smoking' related deseases.

Tobacco tax generates £11Bn per year - which gives a 6BN profit for smokers (based purely on tobacco sales remember smokers will also pay NI etc which also contribute to the NHS)

Interestingly enough

8 out of 10 non smokers live past 70
      5 out of 10 long term smokers live past 70

Comment

OK, but saying obesity "costs more" needs to be qualified by cost per person when deciding how much tax should be due on food/booze compared to fags.

And of course remember booze is a contributing factor to obesity (I'd imagine a big factor), and that is already taxed a lot.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

A very good point and difficult to ascertain as a definition of obese seems a little tough to pin down.

Although I did stumble across

"Around 86% of lung cancer deaths in the UK are caused by tobacco smoking and, in addition, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) states that tobacco smoking can also cause cancers of the following sites: upper aero-digestive tract (oral cavity, nasal cavity, nasal sinuses, pharynx, larynx and oesophagus), pancreas, stomach, liver, bladder, kidney, cervix, bowel, ovary (mucinous) and myeloid leukaemia. 7"

Now I can understand about upper aero digestive tract. but liver, bladder, kidney etc. not convinced they are smoking related but I suppose the problem is many smokers are also drinkers so....

anyway who wants to live forever!

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            well a bit of googling states that obesity is costing the NHD between 4 and 22 Billion per year depending on what report you read - expected to reach £50 bn by 2050

smoking related deaseases cost the NHS approx 5 BN per year - however any disease of the heart or repiratory system seems to be classed as 'smoking' related - I am not sure how many 'non smokers' die of 'smoking' related deseases.

Tobacco tax generates £11Bn per year - which gives a 6BN profit for smokers (based purely on tobacco sales remember smokers will also pay NI etc which also contribute to the NHS)

Interestingly enough

8 out of 10 non smokers live past 70
            5 out of 10 long term smokers live past 70
            And how much is our government costing us through waste, corruption and the promotion of outsourcing ?

Perhaps the government and civil service should bear an incompetence tax
            Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

a very good point also -- however smokers are an easy target

it is highly unlikely that the pointless fu<kers in govn are interested in doing anything but lining their own pockets at the tax payers expense.

Comment

Tax smokers as much as you can, smelly selfish cocks

Comment

Working...
                X