• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

London 2012

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    There's something in the news today about the mammoth security cost overruns. In the £billions. I wonder if it will go bomb free.
    I'm staying out of central London for the duration, I might make a trip to Richmond to watch the bike race go through the park.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      There's something in the news today about the mammoth security cost overruns. In the £billions. I wonder if it will go bomb free.
      Meeting a friend for lunch today who is working on the centralised security system for the Olympics.

I am going nowhere near London....

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

I'm dreading the prospect of getting a gig in London then. Presumably accommodation will be impossible to find, which means another stint of driving a 180 mile round-trip to Stanmore and back each day. I did that for a couple of weeks last year and it sucks
        Stanmore? From Leicester wouldn't you be better off going to somewhere north of London like Chalfont & Latimer or Pinner, and getting the Metropolitan line in? Depends where the client is of course.

I'll probably head down to Torquay or Cornwall for olympic week, and try and avoid radios and TVs

edit: DOH! I just checked, and Stanmore _is_ North London. Must have been thinking of Stanwell Moor, near Heathrow
        Last edited by OwlHoot; 9 March 2012, 12:47.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Got some tickets for Wimbledon for the Olympic Tennis.

I go to work early, we'll have to see how bad it is, can always WFH if necessary.
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoiderman View Post
            I am going nowhere near London....
            Nor would I. Such an obvious target, is it worth the risk?

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post

Nor would I. Such an obvious target, is it worth the risk?
              Suppose the terrorists go for the "kicking the cat" option, and stage a bombing in Ipswich or somewhere, just to get the attention?
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

What a bunch of miserable kill-joys. Even if you aren't really bothered by sport, the Olympics is a huge spectacle and this is the only time it will be in our native land - might as well buy into it, easier to give in than make yourself angry since it's going to absolutely saturate the entire country for weeks.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  Suppose the terrorists go for the "kicking the cat" option, and stage a bombing in Ipswich or somewhere, just to get the attention?
                  You never know, but the 7/7 attack was on the day after it was announced that London would have the Olympics.

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  What a bunch of miserable kill-joys. Even if you aren't really bothered by sport, the Olympics is a huge spectacle and this is the only time it will be in our native land - might as well buy into it, easier to give in than make yourself angry since it's going to absolutely saturate the entire country for weeks.
                  I take your point, but I think saturate is an exaggeration. Personally I'll find it very easy to ignore, as I dont watch broadcast tv.
                  Last edited by escapeUK; 9 March 2012, 13:09.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Really?

1948 Summer Olympics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My old mum went to that one.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I have tickets for the Olympics and Paralympics and am really looking forward to the party.
                      You are a miserable bunch of sods - use it as an excuse to WFH!
                      +50 Xeno Geek Points
                      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                      X