• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: London 2012

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "London 2012"

Collapse

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    If you live somewhere nothing ever happens it's easy to say "get caught up in it" but I have a major sporting event on my doorstep for 2 weeks every year and although I watch some of it and enjoy it I won't pretend that it isn't disruptive. The olympics are going to be at least 10x as big and will pretty much paralyse a transport system which is already bursting at the seams. It will be a lot easier to enjoy them if you don't have to put up with that for 2 hours a day just to get to and from work.
    I take your point as those outside London aren't going to have their daily routines affected. But as Zippy said, can’t you work from home?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Incidentally, 2012 is the third London Olympics.

At the first one in 1908, British police teams won all three medals in the Tug 'o War. I wonder if whoever presented the medals greeted them with "Hello, hello, hello"?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I always love to watch the Olympic sport on TV and it will be no different this time. But it might as well be in Mongolia for all I care, I ain't going anywhere near it.

And I ain't watching that waste of money they call the opening and closing ceremonies. Not even on TV.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Why not travel on the VIP roads, where even the traffic lights will go green for you as you swish past the peasants.
    The £5k fine might put you off...

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Why not travel on the VIP roads, where even the traffic lights will go green for you as you swish past the peasants.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    If you live somewhere nothing ever happens it's easy to say "get caught up in it" but I have a major sporting event on my doorstep for 2 weeks every year and although I watch some of it and enjoy it I won't pretend that it isn't disruptive. The olympics are going to be at least 10x as big and will pretty much paralyse a transport system which is already bursting at the seams. It will be a lot easier to enjoy them if you don't have to put up with that for 2 hours a day just to get to and from work.
    It will certainly be interesting to see how the tubes and trains cope with all the extra people.

I know that they were encouraging firms to get their employees to work from home during the period.

Thankfully I'm not working in the smoke any more.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    That's partly why I think you should make the effort to buy into it... a bit like how being stuck in a crowd is annoying, but being at a gig makes it different. Getting caught up in it would, even as a cynical tactic, be a great way to make it seem less annoying

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Hang on though - I enjoy moaning about the Olympics, and I'm sure other naysayers in this thread do too.

So in a way you're the kill joy
    Yes, the moaning was quite good until moaners started moaning about it. At the risk of sounding like I'm moaning.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    What a bunch of miserable kill-joys. ...
    Hang on though - I enjoy moaning about the Olympics, and I'm sure other naysayers in this thread do too.

So in a way you're the kill joy

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    I have tickets for the Olympics and Paralympics and am really looking forward to the party.
    You are a miserable bunch of sods - use it as an excuse to WFH!
    WZS

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    What a bunch of miserable kill-joys. Even if you aren't really bothered by sport, the Olympics is a huge spectacle and this is the only time it will be in our native land - might as well buy into it, easier to give in than make yourself angry since it's going to absolutely saturate the entire country for weeks.
    WDHGS

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    I take your point, but I think saturate is an exaggeration. Personally I'll find it very easy to ignore, as I dont watch broadcast tv.
    Not just TV but every newspaper and UK based news source. Radio. Everyone you talk to at work, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I think it will be good to watch, on TV, but central London is a bit overcrowded at the best of times, with the extra load on the transport network and the daily security scares it's going to be hellish.
    That's partly why I think you should make the effort to buy into it... a bit like how being stuck in a crowd is annoying, but being at a gig makes it different. Getting caught up in it would, even as a cynical tactic, be a great way to make it seem less annoying

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Really?

1948 Summer Olympics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My old mum went to that one.
    Sorry, only time in our lives was what I meant. Unless we emigrate we'll never live where it happens again (unless it comes to Scotland )

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Don't get me wrong, I think it will be good to watch, on TV, but central London is a bit overcrowded at the best of times, with the extra load on the transport network and the daily security scares it's going to be hellish.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    I have tickets for the Olympics and Paralympics and am really looking forward to the party.
    You are a miserable bunch of sods - use it as an excuse to WFH!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X