• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hayes IT and references

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hayes IT and references

Anybody been contracting with Hayes PLC lately ? They seem to be asking for three years of references before contracts can start. Thats a first for me. Not just agents but old project managers as well. Is this something to do with opting in or out ?

Here we go......

Comment

started with them in January, & they werent then

Comment

mikejf,

This is perfectly normal and accepted practice.

Just supply the details they ask for. If you want to help he further and be proactive then send them details of anyone you know in IT that is in a hiring position.

HTH

MG
        Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

My last two contracts have been through Hays. Yes, they wanted everything for the past two years. They even wanted a letter of reference from someone I'd known for a while with a respectable occupation to cover a one month benchtime period!

You think that's bad. Wait till they start chasing you for a disclosure (crim record) certificate that you have to apply for and pay for out of your own pocket! That was for a BA job at BT! - everyone else seems to be happy with a signed declaration.

Comment

Originally posted by mikejf
            Anybody been contracting with Hayes PLC lately ? They seem to be asking for three years of references before contracts can start. Thats a first for me. Not just agents but old project managers as well. Is this something to do with opting in or out ?
            What does common sense tell you - you are being had tell em to feck off.

Excpetionally few clients take references for contractors - fact.

Comment

Had some bird from MSB call a few weeks ago asking me to provide proof that a fellow contractor had worked with me years ago. I was startled that he might be forced by the vicissitudes of the world to end up using MSB, but played along until she started asking for the hiring managers details...

IMHO it's just the latest scam, but am open to hear of what other reason it could be.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by chock
                My last two contracts have been through Hays. Yes, they wanted everything for the past two years. They even wanted a letter of reference from someone I'd known for a while with a respectable occupation to cover a one month benchtime period!

You think that's bad. Wait till they start chasing you for a disclosure (crim record) certificate that you have to apply for and pay for out of your own pocket! That was for a BA job at BT! - everyone else seems to be happy with a signed declaration.

Think you're missing the point somewhat.

Comment

Aha! (penny drops) - that's why my old references have suddenly suffered an influx of 'if you need anyone......' type calls!!

not had my weetabix this morning!........

But........seriously though.........

How would a letter from my friend the teacher confirming that I'm a damned decent bloke aid them in expanding their empire?
                  Last edited by chock; 18 May 2006, 13:34.

Comment

Originally posted by chock
                    But........seriously though.........

How would a letter from my friend the teacher confirming that I'm a damned decent bloke aid them in expanding their empire?
                    its just an extra slant on an old trick that makes it seem more viable

Comment

Working...
                    X