• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a new telly

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a new telly

Telly is playing up.

Replacement.

50" Plasma or 46" LCD?

They are similar prices.

I don't want anything fancy just good picture.

Originally posted by DimPrawn
    Telly is playing up.

Replacement.

50" Plasma or 46" LCD?

They are similar prices.

Then dont bother with either. Plasma and LCD are both still inferior in picture quality to CRT. CRT Rear projection tv's give the best picture quality / size / cost balance atm. If you really have to have flat panel then LCD is better but more expensive in terms of size/cost.

CRT will last longer as well, 80k+ Hours. Plasma and LCD are good for half that at best.
    Last edited by DaveB; 18 May 2006, 10:19.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

DaveB is correct. For best picture quality CRT is still the way to go.

Comment

Definitely. We have an older (circa 1992) 26" Trinitron 4:3 screen - you can't beat them (and they are also toddler proof).
        Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Whatever you get make sure it has a built in digital tuner. If it has analogue only tuning it is probably no longer in production but the stores are selling them off cheap.
          HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

Originally posted by Clog II The Avenger
            Whatever you get make sure it has a built in digital tuner.
            And in my experience isn't a Panasonic. Mine tried to update it's software, failed halfway through and then the digital tuner wouldn't work anymore. Panasonic sent a new cam which it couldn't even access. Total pants IME. It was bought to replace a 20yr old panasonic which had finally expired.

Still, got the cash back and bought a Sony.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
              Telly is playing up.

Replacement.

50" Plasma or 46" LCD?

They are similar prices.

I recently bought a Panasonic 50" plasma to replace a 36" CRT

must say I'm very happy with the pic quality - especially from DVD - usually to watch the CRT you had to sit close-ish to it... with the Panny its comfortable watching even on the furthest sofa in the lounge

Comment

I have a CRT rear projection, two years old.

The picture quality is excellent, but I have spend hours twiddling with it to get the geometry and convergence correct. (Having had to go into service menus to do this where one mistake can permanently break it - a bit nerve-wracking.) As I watch it from close up relative to screen size (51" TV, 7.5 feet from screen to eyeball) it does suffer from large area flicker. This only happens where there are large areas of solid colour (e.g. studio scene or cartoon) and I don't really notice it any more. Seldom affects movies/drama/sport. (Large area flicker is caused by it drawing the picture a line at the time - some CRT TVs get rid of this by having higher refresh rates.)

I would not buy one now though. When I bought my understanding was there was no prospect of HD coming to the UK. If buying a big TV now you must get one with a physical resolution corresponding to at least the 720p HD standard. I will not replace mine until I can get one with a physical resolution that can handle 1080i standard. I will almost certainly get an LCD or DLP rear-projection rather than a flat panel, if you look at the Samsung global web-site you will see they have just started selling what I want in the USA. That spec. will probably only make its way to the UK in a year or two's time.
                Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 18 May 2006, 12:14.

Comment

its
                  We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by Dalek Supreme
                    DaveB is correct. For best picture quality CRT is still the way to go.
                    Luddite

Comment

Working...
                    X