• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a new telly

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chico
    Bang & Olufsen - enough said. Next
    Spending money on whores is definetely a better way to squander them.

If he's really into TV and has a sophisticated taste with extra cash in his pocket, I reckon Loewe might have something for him.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

B&O - kids' kit for people who think flash looks mean something.

Comment

Originally posted by Dalek Supreme
        B&O - kids' kit for people who think flash looks mean something.
        Agree - that stuff sounds like someone is tulipting in a bin lid. My father is obsessed with it.
        Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Don't you intend on being a twat in this life AND the afterlife Chico?

Comment

I have a 46" Toshiba DLP set (a bit like rear projection without the size !)

Supports HDTV with HDMI inputs etc.

It's a fantastic set - picture from DVD (terrestrial TV is a bit pants) - only problem is I can sometimes detect the dreaded "rainbow effect" (where some people can see colour seperation in some fast moving scenes.)

Having said all that, I would happily buy another

Comment

Samsung 40"

I have a Samsung 40" (I couldn't go bigger otherwise it wouldn't fit into the space provided) and it's great, picture is excellent, no ghosting, no problems, in that regard it just works.

The only issues I have with it are this:

No digital tuner, have to have Sky or Dig box. In my opinion; no biggie. You have another remote but that's it.
              The screen is 1366 x 768 (16:9) but it will only accept a signal on the PC analogue (RGB) input of 1024 x 768 (4:3) so when you have a 16:9 video it is converted to 4:3 and then sent to the TV, the TV has to modify the image again to convert to 16:9. It isn't that much of an issue as you really can't see it, but I know a guy who worked at a TV station for a number of years (got used to vision and what to look for) and he pointed some stuff out to me. This is only for watching DivX's and stuff that I have been sent, so overall it's not a major hassle.

Aside from that, it works flawlessly, looks great, and the picture is better than anything else I have seen.

When looking at this stuff, check the native resolutions. I have seen a number of screens from Pioneer that are 16:9 and marked as "HD Ready" but they are still using 4:3 native resolutions (1024 x 768). My only guess on this one is rectangular pixels which is an old old hack, something that people did in the early days of 16:9.

Comment

I've got a lovely 14inch Colour Matsui wih teletext. I've had it for 24 years.
                It has a great picture, sound is reasonable but the remote control doesn't work (something to do with being dropped into the bath), but that isn't a problem as I have buttons and knobs on the fornt of it to which do clever things like change channel and adjust the volume.

I can highly reccomend it
                Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

What's wrong with the Black and White 14 inch I rent from Rediffusion?
                  WHat do you mean they went out of business? Doh!

Comment

Working...
                  X