• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Charging for carrier bags!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    It gets worse than this - I pick lots of stuff and the checkout person asks: do you want a bag? F**k yes, I am not Harry Potter to magically lift all the stuff and carry it away?

Supermarkets should have taken pro-customer policy and tell to fook right off anybody who tries to force them this tulip, even if it's the law pay 5p per bag and increase prices to take that into account and provide good service.
    Why should people like me, who have reusable canvas bags and/or a rucksack, subsidise the disorganised ?

FWIW waitrose doesn't charge for bags.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      Why should people like me, who have reusable canvas bags and/or a rucksack, subsidise the disorganised ?

FWIW waitrose doesn't charge for bags.
      Just because you have a fanny pack constantly attached to your midriff, full of carrier bags, plasters & wet wipes doesn't mean that everyone is a total mincer.

MF in 'Really pissed off about this 1p carrier bag thing now' mode.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

paying a few pence for a bag is not really the issue.

The issue is that the shop assistant in most cases will be able to see whether or not you need a bag and so should ask before you pay whether you need one.

As MF says it is about service - about the store trying to ensure that the customer has the best experience.

However that is a naive point of view - companies will charge as much as they possibly can and ensure that the service they give is just adequate that you do not complain.

It's not about the customer it's about the money - as soon as you realise that you realise that theft is fine!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          It's the service. They don't even ask you or tell you. You finish the transaction with some moron who makes Doogie look clever, head to one side with dribble down their face(like Doogie) and after you've paid with a credit card(your only form of payment) then tell you it's 1p,5p,10p.
          The dumbo is you who didn't think you might need a bag in advance. The shop-monkey is selling stuff to benefits claimants all day who are smart enough to have 5p in their pocket, amazing it's the intelligent guy who can't understand how to buy stuff in a shop.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

"Seriously, f**k off you left wing bleeding heart tree hugger. Real AtW"
            oh come on MF just complain to the relevant customer services department with a strongly worded letter about how to provide proper customer service.
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

It's beginning to get on my tits. Last month I went to B&Q bought 13 items for about £40 paid on credit card. The cusomer advisor then just looked at me blankly. 'Can I have a bag?', '5p' came the reply. I don't have 5p, a shrug of the shoulders. I picked my stuff off vowing next time they could keep all the stuff.

Just been into WHSmiths to buy a book(of a personal nature). Went to the counter, the fat fooking gurning shop assisting cretin behing the counter barely looked up. Took the book, added a voucher. Then a leaflet. Then another voucher. My credit card went through. He then placed a credit card receipt on top. Then the receipt. Not saying a word.

"Can I have a bag please?" '1p' he replied. 'I don't have 1p'. Silence. Big queue building.

I offered my card. 'I'm not doing that it's stupid'.

'Fine. If you no bag. No sale. Refund me the money'

Not a word, refunded me the money & I left. WTF is wrong with customer service in this country.

WHSh!t , they tried that on me and left my shopping on the counter walked out. Good thing too as I then went to a local private owned shop that was cheaper and gave me a classy strong bag.

WTF were you doing in B&Q? Try Screwfix first, they are very much cheaper they even do sheet material, paint, baths etc etc.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

We have a couple of blue IKEA bags in the back of the car at all times, along with a few of the more durable Tesco/Sainsbury folding shopping bags and more often than not we use these when shopping and the wife has a folding bag in her handbag.
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Poor MF. He bravely left the house to venture into the big scary world, filled with other people who might require personal interaction, which fills him with dread. I've come to realise MF is right and it was a breakdown in customer service; they should be trained to offer special assistance to people like him.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Over here on the mainland the carrier bags are visibly for sale at the till. Should you need one you pick it up and hand it over with all the other stuff you are purchasing. The smarter folks hand it over first.

Obviously those of us who are not concerned about our perceived sexuality are quite happy to carry man bags and shopping bags when we go out.

**It is only those who are unsure if they are men who worry about how the world perceives them.
                    Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      Poor MF. He bravely left the house to venture into the big scary world, filled with other people who might require personal interaction, which fills him with dread. I've come to realise MF is right and it was a breakdown in customer service; they should be trained to offer special assistance to people like him.
                      Having run shops for 8 years. Once coming runner up as best gift shop in the UK, being praised in the local press for excellent customer service & extremely friendly & helpful I reserve the right to be a miserable bastard when I shop. A smile, a joke, even some acknowledgement would be nice. It seriously winds me up poor customer service especially these large chains. Only poor bar service winds me up more.
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X