• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you have gone to university if you had to pay for it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes. I worked before going to University and went a little later, not receving a full grant & landing up with student loans afterwards(not as much as now of course).

I worked during Uni as well. It all depends on what you think your risk / reward is for doing a degree.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I don't think you should have to have Maths to do an Art degree (if you're fully paying for it).

The University should dictate the entry requirements and not the gov.

Comment

Paid for it the first time around, but thankfully fees were taken care of by an EU bursary (funnily enough they don't exist any more ), didn't get grants or loans, so it was quite expensive to cover living expenses in London.

But looking at the fees involved now I might think twice about going.
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I think it would make me think about it more, but the goal was always contracting, so I know I'd have got it back in spades.

Comment

The fact that many people would now 'think twice' about whether to go or not is in my opinion a very good thing.

Daryll from Scunthorpe might realise it's not worth his while doing that 3 year <del>pissup</del> course in Badger Grooming or similar
            It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

I probably would have gone to uni had I to pay fees. First time round there weren't tuition fees, I had the help of the company I served my apprenticeship with in the first year, and a good agency that found me offshore work in the holidays year two onwards.

I don't think I would have got so much out of uni if I had matriculated as a 17/18 year old.

Comment

12k for 3 years of partying, money well spent.

blew grand in 1 week in ibiza after I graduated so its all relative the cost of an "education"

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
                  I don't think you should have to have Maths to do an Art degree (if you're fully paying for it).
                  I disagree.

Lots of Arts and Social Science students become teachers. And primary teachers teach every subject.

I've overheard (and had arguments with) more than one female primary school teacher who has said "Girls can't do Maths" to explain their own fear and ineptitude of doing basic Maths.

They are also teaching your child whether they are male or female and if they can't do simple trig and algebra how do you expect your child to learn from them?

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
                  The University should dictate the entry requirements and not the gov.
                  For students going the traditional route lots of decent universities dictate for their most popular courses that you need a C/B or above in GCSE Maths. Some even ask for AS level.

And yes I would have gone to university if I had to pay fees. I had to take out maintenance loans anyway.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    I disagree.

Lots of Arts and Social Science students become teachers. And primary teachers teach every subject.
                    What's that got to do anything? The ones who become teachers can be the ones who DO have basic skills in core subjects. Or they can do a conversion course (this is very common in the UK, no idea about other nations) to brush up on missing/rusty skills.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The statistic that is frequently trotted out says that a degree will, on average, increase the lifetime earnings of the graduate in question by around £1m in total. So on that basis it's obviously worth it. I'm not sure how true that statistic is though, particularly with the advent of nonsense degree courses in the past few years, such as Business Information Management, and fourth tier colleges such as Heriot-Watt University.
                      Last edited by Freamon; 1 March 2012, 21:59.
                      "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Working...
                      X