• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Horizons Keep fit with only 3 minutes of intensive interval training per week

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Notascooby View Post
    Also look here to get an estimate VO2 Max
    Yep, BrianMac's a brilliant site; loads of quality information there and I use it regularly.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Yes but your definition of short bursts of activity probably isn't 3minutes in total for the week, broken up into 20-30s chunks.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Yes but your definition of short bursts of activity probably isn't 3minutes in total for the week, broken up into 20-30s chunks.
        Not in the case of the US footballers, not, obviously not; they do a lot more training. But the research for this 3 minute idea seems to be based on people who go from no exercise to some exercise, and that would logically make some differences, including possibly body fat. How much difference is another question. I'm skeptical about some aspects of this and I felt that there were a lot of unanswered questions in the programme, but I'm not going to suggest that a bit of high intensity exercise isn't better than no exercise. It does seem to work for US footballers who want to get rid of the holiday belly, and it seems to have worked for me a number of times too, so may work for others, but that's on top of the other training and not as the only training. Again though, there are so many factors to eliminate it would be difficult to prove, but there is a theoretical basis for thinking it can help reduce fat levels.

Comment

Can you burn artery fat by exercising?

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
            Can you burn artery fat by exercising?
            It would seem so.

A Serving Of Exercise After That Saturated Fat

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Thanks, I was surprised at this:

"What happens four hours after that high-fat meal is that your artery looks just like the arteries of a person who has heart disease,"

I thought it took years not hours !!!

Comment

But the research for this 3 minute idea seems to be based on people who go from no exercise to some exercise, and that would logically make some differences
                WMTTS

It won't make you good at anything and you'd still feel knackered if you try a few minutes of running. But you'll be a little stronger and it will wake up your metabolism.

These things are always exaggerated. I remember some research 10 years ago that claimed that Beckham was a genius because he could kick a ball more or less where he wanted. Not all prem footballers, just Beckham.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  WMTTS

It won't make you good at anything and you'd still feel knackered if you try a few minutes of running. But you'll be a little stronger and it will wake up your metabolism.

These things are always exaggerated. I remember some research 10 years ago that claimed that Beckham was a genius because he could kick a ball more or less where he wanted. Not all prem footballers, just Beckham.
                  I know a few of the guys at FC Zwolle, which is a Dutch first division side, so not the absolute top level but one below; they all seem to be able to aim and kick a ball within about 20cm of a spot on a wall 20 metres further up. Quite impressive to watch. I don't think that explains the difference between the best and the rest though; perhaps the combination of kicking the ball in the right direction, at the right speed, at the right height, in the right parabola to fall at the feet or on the forehead of a team mate in the right position, and do it time and time again even when you're tired is a better indicator, but more difficult to research.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Note: AFAIK the data does not claim this method helps you lose weight, it was specifically about insulin and diabetes.

They had the guy on BBC Breeakfast yesterday and he seemed to think further research would show it does help you lose weight, but the GP they had alongside him was having to bite her tongue, you could see she thought that was crap.
                    Type 2 Diabetes, unfit fat people diabetes not type 1 insulin dependant diabetes

I realy wish they could call it something else as whilst related are not the same thing

Comment

My personal guess is that the 20s thing is some whole different mechanism to 'real' exercise; a 2min intense activity leaves you totally exhausted so it's no surprise your body reacts to it. Whereas a 20s activity might be 'tricking' your body.

That's just a gut feeling (pun not intended).
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X