• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Raspberry Pi

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Pi cases compatible with A and B models?

or is there some difference with the port apertures or anything.

Edit : response from ModMyPi.com

The cases are interchangeable - however some cases such as the ModMyPi
    cases and PiBows we're built to suit the Model B boards (so you will
    have an extra hole where the LAN port is and a larger hole for the USB
    ports).

The Cyntech cases we built with the Model A in mind, and have punch
    out's to suit the A.

They all do fit however.
    Last edited by Scrag Meister; 5 March 2013, 10:36. Reason: Additional information
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Some ideas featured in El Reg

Ten pi-fect projects for your new Raspberry Pi ? The Register

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        Did the FM transmitter project today and it works very well with the supplied wav file but the problem I have is with my own wav files. No matter how I convert them to mono playback is about half speed and pitch drops. I've checked sample and bit rate, the converted files play fine on any windows machine but on the Pi no joy.

If you've had a play with this are you seeing the same problem or have you successfully converted a file to mono or converted an mp3?
        Me, me, me...

Comment

As a non-electronics guy I was fascinated that the Pi "just happens" to transmit FM. How on earth does that work?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            As a non-electronics guy I was fascinated that the Pi "just happens" to transmit FM. How on earth does that work?
            Just about any computer or processor can do this. It's quick and dirty, illegal and will broadcast all sorts of harmonics that will interfere (over a short distance), with just about any transmitter / receiver. From the project site;

Modulation is done by adjusting the frequency using the fractional divider between 100.025Mhz and 99.975Mhz, which makes the audio signal. The fractional divider doesn't have enough resolution to produce more than ~6 bit audio, but since the PI is very fast, we can do oversampling to provide about 9.5 bit audio by using 128 subsamples per real audio sample.

Linky

Was fun listening to my 'radio station' on the car radio at the other end of the driveway (about 100m away).
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Well, seein' as it's yersel' ( and it's tipping down sleet outside)

I had a go at this, and my wav files play fine.

I'm using an Ubuntu 12.04 box for the wav file processing.
              I had a copy of Beethoven's fifth ( OK not the best of choices) which had been
              ripped from CD using Rhythmbox to give me a wav file with the following properties:-

Codec - Uncompressed 16-bit PCM audio
              Channels - Stereo
              Sample rate- 44100 Hz
              Bitrate - N/A

I then used Audacity to change this to match the supplied wav file:-

Channels - Mono
              Sample rate- 22050 Hz
              Bitrate - N/A

Set up the Pi, and ran it. The difficult part was finding an fm radio.
              Ended up using the digital FM tuner on my 'phone.

All was well with both the supplied Starwars theme and my ripped Beethoven.

A funny incident occurred while running this; I'd temporarily switched my phone radio off
              to save the battery and on turning it back on there was Beethoven.
              Oops, ran to the pi and did several ^C s. Still Beethoven. Then pulled the power on pi.
              Still Beethoven. Smelled rat. Checked radio. Set to radio three.

By sheer coincidence they were playing the same track. What are the odds against that?

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
                I then used Audacity to change this to match the supplied wav file:-

Channels - Mono
                Sample rate- 22050 Hz
                Bitrate - N/A
                Doing exactly the same many times over and the Pi still plays the files slowly

A funny incident occurred while running this; I'd temporarily switched my phone radio off
                to save the battery and on turning it back on there was Beethoven.
                Oops, ran to the pi and did several ^C s. Still Beethoven. Then pulled the power on pi.
                Still Beethoven. Smelled rat. Checked radio. Set to radio three.

By sheer coincidence they were playing the same track. What are the odds against that?
                Quite a coincidence

The Pi continues to broadcast anyway after playing a file, gotta pull the power to stop it.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                  The Pi continues to broadcast anyway after playing a file, gotta pull the power to stop it.
                  Now that's interesting, mine stopped immediately I killed the process with ^C.

I was running the program directly, using the line:-
                  sudo ./pifm sample.wav 105.0

You have a pm BTW.

Sorry, would have been back sooner, been watching arduino/zigbee videos.

Comment

Now that's interesting, mine stopped immediately I killed the process with ^C.

I was running the program directly, using the line:-
                    sudo ./pifm sample.wav 105.0

You have a pm BTW.

Sorry, would have been back sooner, been watching arduino/zigbee videos.
                    Running the program directly as well although as root. I'll be back at it again when the rugby finishes.
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

It's quite surprising just how fast the Pi really is.

I've been playing around with some code that accesses the "Linux FrameBuffer" directly and implemented good old Bresenhams Line Drawing, Circle Drawing algorithm's in "C" and it shifts like the proverbial.

The good old ARM is very good at integer arithmetic (The absence of a "divide" is a bit of a bastard but if you can avoid any division other than ^2 then no real problems).

Comment

Working...
                      X