• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Raspberry Pi

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    How many GFlops that toy chip is doing?

Hope it's more than 3.14...
    Originally posted by raspberrypi.org
    How powerful is it?

The GPU provides Open GL ES 2.0, hardware-accelerated OpenVG, and 1080p30 H.264 high-profile decode.

The GPU is capable of 1Gpixel/s, 1.5Gtexel/s or 24 GFLOPs of general purpose compute and features a bunch of texture filtering and DMA infrastructure.

That is, graphics capabilities are roughly equivalent to Xbox 1 level of performance.

Overall real world performance is something like a 300MHz Pentium 2, only with much, much swankier graphics.
    Not bad for £25

Comment

GPUs are not general purpose compute units yet, but I give you that this toy is more powerful than Z80A CPU...

Comment

What some kids are doing with the Raspberry Pi.

Raspberry Pi | An ARM GNU/Linux box for $25. Take a byte!

The above is the home page which changes regularly. Currently there are links and descriptions to what kids are using their(Parents ) Raspberry Pi's for. More power to their collective elbow I say.

Btw, I have another Pi arriving Week commencing ~2nd July anybody want it? Was going to put it on EBay (and speculate) but if you're interested you can have it for what I paid (£30 + whatever it costs to get it to you) - If you're lucky I'll throw in an SD with Debian on it for you.

Please PM if interested.

Comment

GPUs are not general purpose compute units yet, but I give you that this toy is more powerful than Z80A CPU...
          First hit on search for "gpu software"
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Not really a fair post that, for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, AtW thinks he's right and hitting the little fat f*cker repeatedly in the face with a spade with the facts of the matter engraved on the blade will not change his mind.

Secondly, it's going to be a bloody long time before Broadcom release enough information on the graphics cores in the Raspberry Pi before either CUDA or OPENCL etc are supported/available.

Comment

Mine has just arrived, didn't know they were that tiny!

Anyone worked out anything exciting to do with it? I was planning on sticking an HD video on it, oohing and aahing for 5 mins then sticking it away in a drawer somewhere to be rediscovered when we next move house - does that sound about right?

Edited - going to get my eldest to build a cool lego case for it too.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                Secondly, it's going to be a bloody long time before Broadcom release enough information on the graphics cores in the Raspberry Pi before either CUDA or OPENCL etc are supported/available.
                I am not keen on CUDA/OpenCL - new Intel Phi stuff looks nice and it's well understood x86 code.

If the pricing that I've heard it's true it will sell as hot cakes..

Comment

If the pricing that I've heard it's true it will sell as hot cakes..
                  What have you heard?
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    What have you heard?
                    $1500-2500 range apparently ...

If that's true then this price is equivalent to price of one good Xeon.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
                      Anyone worked out anything exciting to do with it? .
                      Showed the specs of the Pi to head of embedded systems at last gig. Turns out it was twice
                      as powerful as certain embedded controller hardware made/sold by client for $$$$

Comment

Working...
                      X