• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Raspberry Pi

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    How is the RPi cooled (no fans or heat sinks)?
    It's passive cooled, no heatsink required.
    (other than the surrounding air which you could argue is a "Heat Sink"...)

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
      It's passive cooled, no heatsink required.
      (other than the surrounding air which you could argue is a "Heat Sink"...)
      Ok, ta. Won't that become a problem once it's enclosed in a box, though?
      The vegetarian option.

Comment

Really, it's time for another willy-waving session between minny and AtW already? Not sure they have enough to wave.

I'm surprised a proper coding geek like AtW thinks encouraging kids to program is a bad idea. A PC might be cheap... though £100 is a lot more than £30... but is also boring. Something like the Pi can spark some imagination in the same way Lego Mindstorm does.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

How is the RPi cooled (no fans or heat sinks)?
          It's an ARM, not an Intel. It will never heat up.
          <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Ok, ta. Won't that become a problem once it's enclosed in a box, though?
            Most cases will have ventilation holes but you have to remember that the Pi is powered via a usb supply (700mA at 5V) so not much heat is created.

Comment

Most cases will have ventilation holes but you have to remember that the Pi is powered via a usb supply (700mA at 5V) so not much heat is created.
              Will that cope with an external USB HDD?

Sounds like it might be worth a punt just to mess about with, although the lack of RTC sounds like a bit of a drag and the waiting list is horrendous unless you want to be ripped off on ebay.
              The vegetarian option.

Comment

Will that cope with an external USB HDD?

Sounds like it might be worth a punt just to mess about with, although the lack of RTC sounds like a bit of a drag and the waiting list is horrendous unless you want to be ripped off on ebay.
                You'll need to have your external HDD powered from something other than the PI. If your PI is connected to the internet it can and does source it's time from there.

Won't be long before the sourcing issues are sorted.

I'll sell you mine for £2k. Seriously though, they're going for ~£60 on ebay, sod all really if you really want one now.
                Last edited by SupremeSpod; 19 June 2012, 14:16.

Comment

You'll need to have your external HDD powered from something other than the PI. If your PI is connected to the internet it can and does source it's time from there.

Won't be long before the sourcing issues are sorted.

I'll sell you mine for £2k. Seriously though, they're going for ~£60 on ebay, sod all really if you really want one now.
                  I thought that might be the case. How does the O/S datestamp boot logs created before connection to the net?
                  The vegetarian option.

Comment

I thought that might be the case. How does the O/S datestamp boot logs created before connection to the net?
                    I'll have a look tonight when I get home and post back.

I've a feeling that about a third of the way through the log the correct date and time will start to be logged.

Comment

How many GFlops that toy chip is doing?

Hope it's more than 3.14...

Comment

Working...
                      X