• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buy To Let.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Quite a lot more.
    But I'm thinking of getting a one bed close to the City - not much more than £2000 rent then, although there may be scope for more depending on exactly where it is.
    Have to look first - haven't been in the property market for years, don't know what's what nowadays.
    My market is someone working in the City looking for a pied-a-terre.
    Canary Wharf might be an option for you then, and it's not as expensive as the city. Or something around the highbury/Islington postcodes, which is a short bus hop into the city or a 45 minute walk.

£2000 means you're looking to buy a property for around £500,000 - £550,000. London rents are not as good from a ROI perspective because they are priced for price gains too (and they do go up more than outside of London). I would be wary of having just one big BTL property to rely on - it's better to buy 2 or 3 smaller ones so that you can protect your investments and be shielded should one of them remain empty for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by redgiant View Post
      A friend of mine bought a 1 bed/studio opposite St. Paul's a few years ago for about £250k and it rents for about £2000 pcm. However service charges are high generally in the city though so it's more like £1600 pcm.
      Must have been quite a few years ago if it was only £250K.
      I'm looking at considerably more than that to generate the same sort of rent, but at least I don't need a mortgage.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Quite a lot more.
        But I'm thinking of getting a one bed close to the City - not much more than £2000 rent then, although there may be scope for more depending on exactly where it is.
        Have to look first - haven't been in the property market for years, don't know what's what nowadays.
        My market is someone working in the City looking for a pied-a-terre.
        I've gone for smaller property outside London. £650 per month on £145k(inc plot), but it's only going to cost me £60k to build a 2nd property next door which will return the same. So works out at £14k(after mgmt fees) on £200k (7%). But I will make an extra £50-£55k on the build(so you could argue thats £14k at £260k / 5.4% on value)

The only thing is the tax Sas, you need to find a clever way to offset that tax on the rent.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Must have been quite a few years ago if it was only £250K.
          I'm looking at considerably more than that to generate the same sort of rent, but at least I don't need a mortgage.
          4 years ago if memory serves me. He's getting married soon so he maybe looking to sell up.

Had a quick look at Rightmove and there are a few around the £250k mark in the EC1 area but limited stock as usual.

Comment

Respect to anyone doing this and earning well. Too much hassle for me, Aviva is paying 7% divi....
            Heard too many horror stories, chap round the corner has just got a court order to get someone out but if they leave voluntarily they dont get benefits/rehoused or something so he has to get bailiffs to turn up.

Comment

I find it depressing seeing IT people with some money to be invested into anything but what their supposed skills can do - zero-cost distribution of software worldwide and earn them a fortune, people with healthy ambitions are in short supply these days it seems

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
                Respect to anyone doing this and earning well. Too much hassle for me, Aviva is paying 7% divi....
                Heard too many horror stories, chap round the corner has just got a court order to get someone out but if they leave voluntarily they dont get benefits/rehoused or something so he has to get bailiffs to turn up.
                Which might cost a couple of grand. If he is in for the long term he will have many years of people paying his mortgage for him so just a blip. Not many ways of making money come with zero risk. Getting baliff in for free house at end is not a bad risk/reward IMO.

Aviva is one company and you are lucky to be in it.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  I find it depressing seeing IT people with some money to be invested into anything but what their supposed skills can do - zero-cost distribution of software worldwide and earn them a fortune, people with healthy ambitions are in short supply these days it seems
                  Spoken like a true cretin.

100 years from now no one will remember you, you're just a blip in the vast immensity of the cosmos.
                  So it's best to enjoy the brief life you have, the goal is to make as much money as possible with the least input, as all truly intelligent people (like your landlord) know.
                  Like I told you before, the biggest regret men haveon their death bed is working too hard.
                  Take a long hard look at yourself and what you have not achieved, you're no spring chicken.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

(like your landlord)
                    The person who overextended himself building the flats gone bust - it's the bank now who lost money that is my landlord, hardly smart people all around especially now that they pulled out of selling me the flat at reasonable price

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      The person who overextended himself building the flats gone bust - it's the bank now who lost money that is my landlord, hardly smart people all around especially now that they pulled out of selling me the flat at reasonable price
                      Which only makes losers all around, including yourself
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X