• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wilmslow-esque whinge: Friends who don't understand our ways of working

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    You need to divert attention away from yourself by pointing out that your friend is on £500+ per day (£110k divided by 220 working days) plus no doubt has pension benefits. Start making comments about his wedge in front of your other mates and remind them that just a self-employed one-man-band who doesn't even get sick pay or a pension.

I have a permie colleague who is just dying to know what I earn, he's all but asked me outright. I've had the usual discussion that my day rate may sound high compared to his, but what with his pension (which he's admitted is generous and substantial) he's much better off then me.

EDIT: I also tell people that I've not had a payrise in 10 years (which is sadly true).
    Good point, I'll do that!

Comment

Just buy a round and stop being so fecking tight!

Comment

Working...
      X