• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Beyond me.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes you'll walk into a project only to realise the management in charge are not qualified to do the job and are uneducated in the technical aspects. Often is the way they believe throwing a large amount of cash at the subject shall fix it.

Depends what's more important your reputation or grabbing the cash.
    Last edited by scooterscot; 22 February 2012, 21:21.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      I know how to suck an egg!

That's what I'm doing next. Nailing down the requirements and the in scope / out scope. Well review accordingly internally and then go back to the client. One thing they did was come to us with a 'representive' client and asked us to pitch for that and another ten. Turns out that client is only 20% of the complexity of the others & as i've gone through pre-analysis that complexity for developing a standard configurable engine is going exponential.

We will see if they will go with bitesize chunks.
      My sympathies. You took the p*ss out of me for descoping once I recall. Then again you are a total hypocritical cretin.

That said, I am more and more convinced that companies are producing more and more completely unattainable projects. The current one I am is a total hoot.

I have had to find more suble ways to challenge the project plan, as plain talking doesn't work, usual bollocks replies.

So for example, I create a more detailed plan that has mini milestones, which cover all the steps, get them to agree the steps and the amount of effort then point out that on that basis we should have started that piece of work 3 weeks ago

Sometimes you just have to work hard, do your best and keeeeeeeeeeeeeep invoicing.

By jove, I think I've got it
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        My sympathies. You took the p*ss out of me for descoping once I recall. Then again you are a total hypocritical cretin.

That said, I am more and more convinced that companies are producing more and more completely unattainable projects. The current one I am is a total hoot.

I have had to find more suble ways to challenge the project plan, as plain talking doesn't work, usual bollocks replies.

So for example, I create a more detailed plan that has mini milestones, which cover all the steps, get them to agree the steps and the amount of effort then point out that on that basis we should have started that piece of work 3 weeks ago

Sometimes you just have to work hard, do your best and keeeeeeeeeeeeeep invoicing.

By jove, I think I've got it
        Today I taught the project manager how to use Microsoft Project.

Comment

Alas. I think the new project I am technical lead on may actually be beyond me.
          On the plus side, at least you're on familiar ground.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post

Another thing I have noticed is that project managers seem to be getting younger (this may of course be my age), and less experienced.

What I would have sized up as a project manager now roll up in their Bentley and call themselves programme managers.

A PM is just a fall guy nowadays

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              Another thing I have noticed is that project managers seem to be getting younger (this may of course be my age), and less experienced.

What I would have sized up as a project manager now roll up in their Bentley and call themselves programme managers.

A PM is just a fall guy nowadays
              To be fair my project is still in the pre-analysis phase as the SOW was so scant we said there would have to be a detailed review. As we've now discovered the internal client has misled the IT department by providing a dumbed down contract for review stating that they were all like it. On the basis of that review we said we could do it and gave a cost to do ten implementations. I'll look at a phased approach but this has fail written all over it.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Really? In my experience, most project managers know nothing but how to use MS Project.
                "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

To be fair my project is still in the pre-analysis phase as the SOW was so scant we said there would have to be a detailed review. As we've now discovered the internal client has misled the IT department by providing a dumbed down contract for review stating that they were all like it. On the basis of that review we said we could do it and gave a cost to do ten implementations. I'll look at a phased approach but this has fail written all over it.
                  Well the first one doesn't have fail written over it as you specced everything up on the basis of those requirements. Do that one while finding another contract to start 2 weeks after the first one is successfully deployed.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
                    Really? In my experience, most project managers know nothing but how to use MS Project.
                    I think she's been dropped in the role. Nice girl, and seems bright and capable, so I'm sure she'll be great with a bit of experience under her belt.

Comment

I think she's been dropped in the role. Nice girl, and seems bright and capable, so I'm sure she'll be great with a bit of experience under her belt.
                      How much experience makes a good IT Project manager though? 18 months? 18 years?

Comment

Working...
                      X