• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Avoid "Feel Barcelona" if you're planning a trip to the city.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course, the one time out of several hundred you don't do that, is when you've forgotten it. I travel many times through the year, and I'm always checking, as you say, wallet, tickets, passport.

I guess it's the trouble with living in a Schengen country. Crossing borders no longer means taking your passport with you. But of course, flying does.

then at the check in they panic in case they might have forgotten them.
    That's not right. At check-in they can't find them, look everywhere, and finally find them stuffed into the side of the baby's pram "for safety".

Dumb thing to do, I'm not arguing with that. But three hours to find someone to come to the apartment when that's all they do all day (check people in/check people out) is really piss-poor. You might think that a **** up on my part does not constitute an emergency on their's - well, it does when you're involved in customer service.

One cool thing though - my son has passed his driving test a few weeks ago, so was able to pick us up from the airport.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I've not used them myself, but I've heard good things about this accommodation agency Barcelona Apartments | Stylish Apartments in Barcelona | Barcelona Accommodation

Of course, it may be the agency doesn't have a spare set of keys, and they rely on the owners to open the doors?
      Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

You don't get this problem with tents.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          You don't get this problem with tents.
          maybe so, but loitering outside an apartment is legal, loitering within tent is not

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            Don't like Barcelona. There's a couple of stunning Gaudi buildings (NOT the Cathedral) and that's about it. Too much crime there for me. It might just be petty crime, but it's everywhere.
            The Cathedral is too hidden by other buildings to appreciate properly

Personally I loved Barcelona. If you're willing to look around and avoid the tourist traps the food is excellent.
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              The Cathedral is too hidden by other buildings to appreciate properly

Personally I loved Barcelona. If you're willing to look around and avoid the tourist traps the food is excellent.
              I agree to some extent about the food. It's OK - I'm one of those people who does all the research, finds which restaurants the locals go to (and books in advance) etc but it doesn't outweigh the rest of the place, sadly.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

We have friends, in whose guest house we stay, just outside Barcelona in Sant Cugat des Valles which is like a posh village but only 25 minutes from Barcelona central. Means you can retreat to very nice restaurants in a nice area after a hectic afternoon in central Barcelona.
                Best of both worlds.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Of course, the one time out of several hundred you don't do that, is when you've forgotten it. I travel many times through the year, and I'm always checking, as you say, wallet, tickets, passport.

I guess it's the trouble with living in a Schengen country. Crossing borders no longer means taking your passport with you. But of course, flying does.

That's not right. At check-in they can't find them, look everywhere, and finally find them stuffed into the side of the baby's pram "for safety".

Dumb thing to do, I'm not arguing with that. But three hours to find someone to come to the apartment when that's all they do all day (check people in/check people out) is really piss-poor. You might think that a **** up on my part does not constitute an emergency on their's - well, it does when you're involved in customer service.

One cool thing though - my son has passed his driving test a few weeks ago, so was able to pick us up from the airport.

You went to Spain. Did you expect Swiss puntuality and quality.
                  I think your problem is in expectation management.
                  When going to Spain my experience is to expect things to not work or go wrong or at least get delayed and then pack/plan accordingly.
                  "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
                    You went to Spain. Did you expect Swiss puntuality and quality.
                    I think your problem is in expectation management.
                    When going to Spain my experience is to expect things to not work or go wrong or at least get delayed and then pack/plan accordingly.
                    Sounds like he's never heard of the 'mañana' mentality out there!

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                      I left my heart in Barcelona.

No..wait, that was San Francisco.

I left a great big turd in Barcelona, in a cafe, by the cathedral.

Horrible place. not Barcelona - the cathedral

What was the Cafe like, pre and post turd?

Comment

Working...
                      X