• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Global warming does not exist - have we done this one yet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    In that case KC, it might be worth looking at the range of CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere before mankind even existed.
    If you find three, four or ten times the current amount and that life thrived on the planet, you will have your answer.

what if it were twenty times ? which it was

we are currently at a very, very low level of concentration

Exactly. You are putting me in the 'warmist' camp, when I am actually in the 'resilient earth' camp.

The 'warmists' say that any significant rise will doom us all, but this cannot be true because the CO2 has been much, much higher in the past and life is still here.

Comment

Yet another scientist (IPCC reviewer) jumping off the AGW bandwagon:
      Hmmmm. An oil company scientist resigns from the AGU in protest at their AGW position. Leaving just 49,999 members who have not resigned.

And I am sorry, but 'IPCC Reviewer' is meaningless. Some are invited, however anyone can request a copy of the draft report, submit a comment and call themselves an 'IPCC Expert Reviewer.', it does not imply any particular expertise or position.
      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

That comes close on the heels of a prominent German scientist (IPCC reviewer) who, this week, was rubbishing AGW in the mainstream German press

In the German equivalent of The Sun, as I recall. Well he does have a book to promote. He has also given an interview to Der Spiegel,

SPIEGEL: It's true that there will be a large solar minimum sometime in the next 500 years. But no one knows exactly when. The probability that this will occur in the next 40 years is less than 10 percent. But, in your book, you predict: "It is clear that the sun will be responsible for colder periods in the first half of this century." Do you know more than all astrophysicists combined?

Vahrenholt: The probability of a large solar minimum, as it occurred during the Little Ice Age, is indeed less than 10 percent. But we are at the beginning of a lighter decline in solar activity of the kind we see every 87 and every 210 years. I've spoken with many solar physicists who expect this to happen.

SPIEGEL: We know many other solar scientists who question this. Another maximum is just as statistically likely as a minimum. Predicting what the sun will do in the coming decades borders on fortune-telling.

Vahrenholt: I know only one German solar scientist who has expressed such doubt. Various American and British solar research groups believe that weak solar cycles are ahead. I take this seriously and expect only cooling from the sun until 2050.
        In other words, if Vahrenholt's (who is a chemist) main thesis of a 'cold sun' is correct then a lot of solar astrophysicists have to be wrong.

I think your 'scepticism' is a little selective ..... ;-)

My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Sorry Mr Clarke, but you are again discrediting views by disreputing their holder.

If a million Scientists believe something will happen. it does not necessarily follow that the one lone voice must be wrong.

'Something' is true. In the same way that if there are ten different religions in the world, then at least nine of them are wrong, and possibly all ten.

Belief is not knowledge,

Comment

Working...
          X