• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Global warming does not exist - have we done this one yet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is unexpected and extraordinarily good news. But as ever - do read the whole story. Message Ends.

Oh and does mean that the 'there is a conspiracy to prevent research and suppress results contrary to GW' narrative just went phut?
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
      This is unexpected and extraordinarily good news. But as ever - do read the whole story. Message Ends.

Oh and does mean that the 'there is a conspiracy to prevent research and suppress results contrary to GW' narrative just went phut?
      Unexpected? The science is settled, man is melting the glaciers, Carbon does more to the climate than the sun, etc...

Comment

Unexpected. The mass loss is about 10% of previous estimates. From the paper:-

The high mountains of Asia, in particular, show a mass loss of only 4±20Gt/yr−1 for 2003–2010, compared with 47–55Gt/yr−1 in previously published estimates.

But look at the error bar: 4 plus or minus 20. Wow.

And of course the IPCC error thing was totally overblown. The mistake was not even in the report on the physical science; the discussions there were quite sensible. The mistake went unremarked for 2 years and then was corrected by the removal of a single sentence from a multi-thousand page report.

And while politicians might talk of settled science, no scientist does. It implies the existence of two classes of science: settled and unsettled, which is a nonsense.
        My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
          And while politicians might talk of settled science, no scientist does. It implies the existence of two classes of science: settled and unsettled, which is a nonsense.
          Is your name Richard Black?
          He's been trying to weasel out of broken consensuses (consensi?) this week as well

BBC News - Climate consensus cracking open - or not
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Yet another scientist (IPCC reviewer) jumping off the AGW bandwagon:

IPCC reviewer resigns from AGU saying: I will not renew my AGU membership | Watts Up With That?

That comes close on the heels of a prominent German scientist (IPCC reviewer) who, this week, was rubbishing AGW in the mainstream German press.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

So what's actually going on then? Is it a latitude thing, an altitude thing? a 'more snow here-less snow there' thing?

Have real Scientists, with their default 'we don't know yet, but we're going to try and find out' position been discredited by Politicians ("we know the answer to everything instantly") ?

I think we need to be treated as 'literate'. We are not all Einsteins, but we did all go to school. More facts from the world of science, and less politically/taxation-driven megaphone propoganda.

Comment

It's all very well to ask us to ignore the hype, the scaremongering and the political rhetoric pj, but you watermelons have been forcefeeding it to us and our kids for over a generation now.
                enough is enough.

You might well gnash your teeth about the error bars above, but I dont remember seeing ANY on the hockey stick graph

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post
                  So what's actually going on then? Is it a latitude thing, an altitude thing? a 'more snow here-less snow there' thing?

Have real Scientists, with their default 'we don't know yet, but we're going to try and find out' position been discredited by Politicians ("we know the answer to everything instantly") ?

I think we need to be treated as 'literate'. We are not all Einsteins, but we did all go to school. More facts from the world of science, and less politically/taxation-driven megaphone propoganda.
                  Do you think you will get this from the normal lazy mainstream press that just re-gurgutates politicians statements?
                  "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post
                    I am not sure. But when Kilamanjaro lost a lot of its ice, the CAGW scaremongers blamed warming, but it turned out to be sublimation, caused by deforestation and land clearance on the lower slopes.
                    Why the lower laying Himalayan glaciers would retreat a bit, but the higher ones advance, I have no idea.

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

It would be nice.

We have had excellent programmes on the telly about the Solar System and the wider Universe. Why not similar factual programmes on this subject. No propoganda or sensationalism...just 'Here's how it is, and you choose what you think...we will not tell you'...

We all know that CO2 is a warming blanket, if it was not there at all, the world would be a frozen wasteland. But we are not going to turn Earth into Venus by switching on a light bulb like some of the more alarmist MMGW lobby would insist that we believe.

Like any other religion, MMGW has its fanatics, its agnostics and its disbelievers. Some use it as an authoritarian tool to dictate to others, and like any other religion some see a nice little earner in it for them.

Like any other form of hysteria, it will pass when the sky does not actually fall.
                      Last edited by KimberleyChris; 9 February 2012, 16:20.

Comment

Working...
                      X