• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving away from London ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I'm preparing for retirement in 5 years, you wage slave loser.
    While you're working in your poorly paid public sector contract, I'll be taking up a new hobby like flying or sailing.
    I thought that was in the big house you just bought in Portugal?

Buying a plane now too? and a yacht?

Nurse!

Comment

Well believe what you want.
      It would be cash.
      And I'm inclining towards the fewer or even one property option simply because its easy to manage and I've done this before with professional tenants rather than DHS types.
      You won't retire on a £1m with that kind of investment attitude!

DHS are often better because rent is covered largely (if not entirely) by our wonderful government. And DHS tenants put up with a lot less than your professional couple/family.

One house for £400k will only bring in ~£1500/month, a yield of 4.5%.

Comment

Hmmm - I think it could vary widely if I bought say 2 not so nice flats at £200K each or one much better property for the whole £400k
        It varies a bit with the area & number of bedrooms but it holds up pretty well.

Surely you have some raw data you can crunch?
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Are hoilday homes a better investment?
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I'll be taking up a new hobby like flying or sailing.
            Dear Icarus - you have all the skills necessary to fly a baloon of hot air.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Nurse!

Portugal is a holiday home/retirement for when I'm old. Still need to send the sprog to school here. Although I'm thinking of home education as an option, if I retire early.

You don't have to buy a plane to learn to fly, although some microlights are very affordable.
              HTH
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Portugal is a holiday home/retirement for when I'm old. Still need to send the sprog to school here. Although I'm thinking of home education as an option, if I retire early.

You don't have to buy a plane to learn to fly, although some microlights are very affordable.
                HTH
                are you saying that you wouldnt send your child to school?
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  It varies a bit with the area & number of bedrooms but it holds up pretty well.

Surely you have some raw data you can crunch?
                  Data is hard to get ...AFAIK there's no one central source that gives actual purchase price and rental income ...
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Nurse!

WHS

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                      are you saying that you wouldnt send your child to school?
                      I would like a mixture of both. I don't want his mind completely destroyed by what passes for education nowadays.
                      Last edited by sasguru; 6 February 2012, 16:46.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X