• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The joys of autistic children

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    But he is VERY happy. And he will be independent when he grows up.
    Another serious question or two. Is that an accurate prediction? What will quality of life be or is that irrelevant as he will feel happy regardless?

Do you feel confident that he will be fine if both of you were not around?
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Yes. The state pays for a nursery place and once a week a special needs teacher comes in to make suggestions as to how he can be encouraged to interact. We have begun the statementing process - you can't get statemented until you start school but it will happen fairly quickly.

We get disability living allowance which helps alot too. Both kids are bad enough for us to get the medium rate!

It is far better than his older brother - now 9 - who was not diagnosed until 6 and took 2 years to get help. With 1-2-1 help he is doing very well. But his big issue is lack of self confidence - he treats himself like the world's biggest idiot. I wish I could mix his confidence with sasguru's then we might get 2 semi-normal people.
      Sasguru isn't a real person though (thank God).

There are some incredibly intelligent people with Aspergers. Like this guy for example.
      "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

But his big issue is lack of self confidence - he treats himself like the world's biggest idiot.
        Perhaps hearing your wife refer to your other child as stupid doesn't help.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
          Another serious question or two. Is that an accurate prediction? What will quality of life be or is that irrelevant as he will feel happy regardless?

Do you feel confident that he will be fine if both of you were not around?
          Who knows whether my prediction is accurate or not? Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery. Today is the present - that is why it is a gift. All we can do is our best for him.

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
          Sasguru isn't a real person though (thank God).
          Indeed - assguru is a program that randomly replies cretin.

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Perhaps hearing your wife refer to your other child as stupid doesn't help.
          The elder child was not around when the above happened. And we do everything we can to talk him up. We keep pointing out to him how well he does on the moments when he relaxes and tries his best.

Comment

And another joy today - woken at 4am by baby BP screaming at the cat. I got back to sleep but was awoken again at 5am. That time I got up and gave him some breakfast and a DVD on to shut him up.

Comment

And another joy today - woken at 4am by baby BP screaming at the cat. I got back to sleep but was awoken again at 5am. That time I got up and gave him some breakfast and a DVD on to shut him up.
              I was kept up until 2am with mine plus I couldn't sleep as it's my third night without a drink, before falling asleep in the spare room. Mrs MF has just informed me the kids woke up another 5 times during the night.

I may have to top up the chloroform.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                I was kept up until 2am with mine plus I couldn't sleep as it's my third night without a drink, before falling asleep in the spare room. Mrs MF has just informed me the kids woke up another 5 times during the night.

I may have to top up the chloroform.
                The Daily Mail from 1926 recomended giving kids who wake up in the night a sound spanking. But this is not allowed anymore.

Comment

The Daily Mail from 1926 recomended giving kids who wake up in the night a sound spanking. But this is not allowed anymore.
                  I believe i read that one. Average house prices to crash from £100, Irish Immigrants taking our jobs says groundkeeper, Single mum found begging child and mum to workhouse.

Comment

The joys of parenthood.

Ours went to bed at 19:30 last night, woke at 2:30 this morning for a feed, went back to sleep until 7:30 this morning.

A doddle.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                      The joys of parenthood.

Ours went to bed at 19:30 last night, woke at 2:30 this morning for a feed, went back to sleep until 7:30 this morning.

A doddle.
                      Good things come to those who wait :whistle:

Comment

Working...
                      X