• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Urgent 13 developers required, do such projects work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    The use of "pay grades" and "salary" still make me wonder if it IS for contractors.
    We're talking around the £200-250/day mark if it is, which in central London is farcical. Unless they want a team of PHP/VB developers.
    Given the quality of work I see down in London £50,000 isn't going to get you much of any type of developer.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Given the quality of work I see down in London £50,000 isn't going to get you much of any type of developer.
      Actually given the level of comments around £50k not getting you a 'decent' developer is actually a joke. Those comments are the ones that are picked up by Business leaders that we have a skills shortage and need to FTV or offshore. In truth £50k is a fantastic
      salary and the vast majority of permie developers aim for that amount. Development skills are ten a penny in Asia and in truth it's the Business Analysis / Technical / Systems Analysis skills that are sought after. Developers =
      Bobs.

Don't flatter yourselves.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Actually given the level of comments around £50k not getting you a 'decent' developer is actually a joke. Those comments are the ones that are picked up by Business leaders that we have a skills shortage and need to FTV or offshore. In truth £50k is a fantastic
        salary and the vast majority of permie developers aim for that amount. Development skills are ten a penny in Asia and in truth it's the Business Analysis / Technical / Systems Analysis skills that are sought after. Developers =
        Bobs.

Don't flatter yourselves.
        To an extent you are right. However there is a significant London premium which you just don't get even if you go 20 miles outside London. I would have no problem seeing that salary attached to Basingstoke, Reading or even zone 6 London and think it was a plausible to get that number of decent people. Go 100 miles north and you could easily get decent people for £35-40,000.

Once you hit central London however I think it ends up being very hard to get decent people who will stay any length of time. In many ways its the same issues we all have when thinking about taking a job there. Is the extra £100 a day worth the hassle of getting there and back again.

And as you say its development. There is no way that all 13 people need to be on site developing a project. While I don't think there is sensible reason in the world for work to be offshored you could easily onshore that work to the north save yourselves £150,000 a year and be guaranteed that there were not 500 other opportunities trying to steal your star developer.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
        X