• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving from perm to contracting advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all your advice. I am confident of my skill set, several of my friends will very similar skill set are doing well, but it's still 'that' jump is the scary bit. I would ideally like to wait 4 weeks and have no gap but I really don't think my employees will be too happy. They have just given me a large pay increase but not more than I would get contracting (not all about the money though). I want to leave on good terms and have money in savings and parents help if required. Really dreading bringing up with boss I want to leave... In regards to having clients that will wait I haven't come across and have been speaking with recruiters on and off for advice since October and decided to wait till new year and after ski holiday.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      To the OP, how much holiday entitlement do you have?

Wait until you've got a couple of weeks saved up and then start looking that way you only have to work two weeks notice...

Simples.

On a more usual note (from myself anyway), welcome to the world of contracting, you seem wonderfully naive and therefore of no competition to myself. Jump on in, the water is lovely!
      No holiday to use as in new year... Im going to ask my boss if I can work till I find a contract as I think they will want to keep me..but you never know

Comment

Originally posted by kitkatrobins View Post
        No holiday to use as in new year... Im going to ask my boss if I can work till I find a contract as I think they will want to keep me..but you never know
        Not convinced that this is something that will work, unless you have a fantastic relationship with the boss.

If I was your boss, I'd be starting to find someone to replace you ASAP and get rid of you sharpish. Depending on the industry, if you are working with anything that is commercially or nationally sensitive, I'd want you out the door now.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Not convinced that this is something that will work, unless you have a fantastic relationship with the boss.

If I was your boss, I'd be starting to find someone to replace you ASAP and get rid of you sharpish. Depending on the industry, if you are working with anything that is commercially or nationally sensitive, I'd want you out the door now.
          Yeah quite possibly. I do have a good relationship with my boss so it's worth a try, but putting myself in a position where I have enough money if I have to just go at end of notice. Don't know if don't ask

Comment

Originally posted by kitkatrobins View Post
            Yeah quite possibly. I do have a good relationship with my boss so it's worth a try, but putting myself in a position where I have enough money if I have to just go at end of notice. Don't know if don't ask
            Find a contract, get it signed by all concerned then hand in your notice.

Comment

Working...
            X