• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

KITCHENS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beware the new Euro regs that came into effect on Jan and Apr 1st banning lots of DIY jobs.
    That's no problem: you started the work last December, right?

PS worktops where the laminate goes round the front and onto at least a bit of the underside, are likely to resist water seepage longer than, say, IKEA worktops where the laminate covers the top (of course) and front edge, but not of the underside: water drips can linger on the underside, seep into the chipboard, and distort it.

Also, check for heat resistance, it does vary. And note that the vendor, especially IKEA, is likely to take your line of worktop or doors out of production just after you buy your stuff, so get any extra bits you might want sharpish.

Comment

I'd get the pros to do the marble worktops

or are you a permie?

Comment

Kitchens

Most important is the triangle (sink, cooker, fridge)
        If you are a contractor, employ others to fit the kitchen - it ain't worth the time involved.

Biggest hassle is what you cook on when you are replacing the units. You would be surprised how quickly you will get p*ssed off even after just 2 days without water.

If you are just replacing the units, why not put new fronts on the cupboards and a new work top? anything else and you will need plumbing, electrical, carpentry, (plastering?) and tiling skills.

Don't know about your house but consider a real Aga, black granite, tiled floor, tiled splash backs and a decent 110cm range cooker.
        N.B.Good tip - Ensure the units are exactly horizontal and tile the floor after the units have been fitted (hids any unlevel floors)

Another good tip - cheap kitchen units with granite on top looks much better than expensive units with a crap worktop.

Comment

Re: Kitchens

Oh and if you do go down the kitchen company route (you'd be best not to) make sure you pay by credit card.

That way, when they inevitably go bust, you at least have (some) protection and can claim from the c. card company.

Comment

Thanks for all your advice.

I am a contractor but i like to get my hands dirty when it comes to DIY.

I have decided after spending 2 hours last night travelling round a few DIY mega stores i'm going to replace the doors and worktops as there is nothing really wrong with the cupboards. going to put a new slate floor down and change the tiles. Along with a new big american style fridge (with ice machine) i think it will look beutiful.

Hopefully it will encourage the other half to increase the quality of her food. !!

Comment

"i'm going to replace the doors and worktops as there is nothing really wrong with the cupboards"

ahh but what happens once you lay your slate floor...will you take the slate under the units ar stop at the plinth?

will you take it under the plinth but stop at the legs?

will you have to cut the plinth to suit for an uneven slate floor?

Comment

Damm you Maximus

Back to the drawing and planning board

Comment

If you are like most men into DIY and love your wife then....don't DIY, as i think it might make her rather miffed to say the least to have a no kitchen for 6 months while she waits for you to finally admit you will never finish it and hire pros to do it.

Comment

Working...
                  X