• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

KITCHENS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KITCHENS

I have reached that time in my life when Mrs Cooperinliverp00l is in need of a new kitchen. I'm not being sexist an insisting she stays in the kitchen as she really does enjoy cooking e.t.c.

Anyway i'm thinking of designing and fitting one myself so was wondering if any of you budding DIY contractors have ever done this and have any useful tips for me.

make sure the worktops are the right height for a bit of basic instinct

Milan.

Comment

Yes,
      don't make the leg-irons that fasten her to the sink too long or she'll only make it through to the living room to nag you

hth

SB in "let the women know their place" mode

Comment

My advice is don't do it yourself. Do what I did and hire some Polish handyman for thruppence cash-in-hand. Mine did a brilliant job at a reasonable price. No wonder the local chav population is growing - they can't compete with the foreign competition.

Comment

Measure, Measure again to make sure and just before you cut measure again.

Then you know that you are hopeless when you cut that bit of work surface the wrong length... :rollin

In all seriousness your biggest problem is likely to be the corners, it seems no house has 90 degree corners and that buggers you up no end when putting in units. For an easy life the foreign immigrant sounds like a good idea if you can trust one.

Comment

FFS this is supposed to be a contractor site.

Contractors should fall into one of these categories:

1) You work & live away from home so why have a kitchen?

2) You eat out all the time so why have a kitchen?

3) You are a geek and only eat pot-noodles so why have a kitchen?

4) You run a REAL company, so put it through the books and pay someone to do it for you.

5) You are Threaded and ate the kitchen.

Comment

Surely Threaded invented the kitchen?

Comment

3) You are a geek and only eat pot-noodles so why have a kitchen?
                Should that be:

3) You are a geek and only eat cheeseburgers and coke.

Remember, pot noddles are dirty and make your inflatable date blush.

Comment

New Kitchen Sir?

Why don't you try Mr Miller's Kitchen Emporium in Oldham (now under new management).

www.manchesteronline.co.u...rogue.html

Rock bottom prices and customer service that is second to none:rollin

Comment

KITCHENS

Being an ex carpenter fitting a kitchen is quite easy.

Would advise getting all electrics/plumbing in the right places first before any fitting. First before starting anything make sure you can turn water off at the mains - fatal not to. Beware the new Euro regs that came into effect on Jan and Apr 1st banning lots of DIY jobs.

The actual units are simple to fit but a lot of carpenters will fit just the worktops for you - and it is advisable to take that route if you have corners or spend several hundreds buying the equipment.

Start all disconnection/re-connection am and when shops are open all day. You never know what you want last minute and never start the job on a bank holiday when B&Q is full.

Average kitchen would be 2 -3 weekends for a good DIYer.

Comment

Working...
                    X